X11/Motif module -- need feedback + testers
Author Message
 X11/Motif module -- need feedback + testers

I've been working on an X11/Motif perl module.  The module is almost
usable -- many Xt routines are wrapped and most Motif widgets and
their resources are supported.  Supporting a get values interface and
the basic X objects and drawing routines are the last on my list of
features needed for alpha release.

If you are interested in using this module, could you plase send
me mail?  Also, please include whether you are familiar with Tk and/or
perl and whether you would be willing to contribute features/fixes.

I'm also interested in hearing from people who have been working
on related X toolkit modules for perl.  I've been having a difficult
time reaching people signed up on the perl modules list; if I've
missed somebody I'm sorry.

A very brief list of the implemented modules:

  X::Toolkit
  X::Toolkit::Widget
  X::Toolkit::WidgetClass
  X::Toolkit::Context
  X::Motif
  X::Motif::String

Whether the toplevel module is 'X' or 'X11' is still up in
the air.  I like 'X' only because it is shorter.  (And since the
chance of X12 is nil I don't think we really have to worry about
versioning issues... ;-)

I'll soon have preliminary support for:

  X::Display
  X::Window
  X::Event (perhaps based on the existing event module)
  X::GC
  X::Font (perhaps using the existing font struct module)
  X::Color

The primary API I've been going for is a Tk-like indirect
object interface.  A C library Xt/Xm clone is planned, but not
working yet.  This module is primarily aimed at embedded perl used
to extend Motif C/C++ applications.  Tk is probably a better module
to use for stand-alone scripts.

Future work may include an Athena widget set module, but this will
depend upon feedback (or volunteers... ;-) because Athena is not
on my to do list.

- Ken

I'm on my own time now...    | "Is this some sort of trick question
                             |  or what?" -- Calvin

Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 X11/Motif module -- need feedback + testers

Quote:
>I've been working on an X11/Motif perl module.  The module is almost
>usable -- many Xt routines are wrapped and most Motif widgets and
>their resources are supported.  Supporting a get values interface and
>the basic X objects and drawing routines are the last on my list of
>features needed for alpha release.

>I'm also interested in hearing from people who have been working
>on related X toolkit modules for perl.  I've been having a difficult
>time reaching people signed up on the perl modules list; if I've
>missed somebody I'm sorry.

I've written a basic, raw-perl (no XS) interface to the X protocol that
offers slightly-sub-Xlib functionality (X11::Protocol, now on CPAN), and am
now working on an object-oriented front end to it. My hope is to provide a
uniform interface to basic X objects that can be used on top of both C and
perl implementations.

Quote:
>Whether the toplevel module is 'X' or 'X11' is still up in
>the air.  I like 'X' only because it is shorter.  (And since the
>chance of X12 is nil I don't think we really have to worry about
>versioning issues... ;-)

Definitely X11. The others modules available all use it. If X12 were to
appear, it would be incompatible, so we'd need new modules anyway.

Quote:
>I'll soon have preliminary support for:

>  X::Display
>  X::Window
>  X::Event (perhaps based on the existing event module)
>  X::GC
>  X::Font (perhaps using the existing font struct module)
>  X::Color

This is the same namespace I'm currently working on (+/- '11'). We should
either coordinate the interfaces, or one of us should choose something
different. I would guess our intents are close enough that it would be
possible to distribute two sets of modules with the same interface. (On the
other hand, if your XS-based interface is going to be done soon, there won't
be much need for an all-perl one). You can look at a preliminary version of
what I have now at `http://www.mcs.com/~alias/public_stuff/Window.pm'.

Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 X11/Motif module -- need feedback + testers

Quote:

> I've been working on an X11/Motif perl module.  The module is almost
> usable -- many Xt routines are wrapped and most Motif widgets and
> their resources are supported.  Supporting a get values interface and
> the basic X objects and drawing routines are the last on my list of
> features needed for alpha release.

> If you are interested in using this module, could you plase send
> me mail?  Also, please include whether you are familiar with Tk and/or
> perl and whether you would be willing to contribute features/fixes.

<snip>

Quote:
> - Ken

> --

Ken this sounds great!  How do you intend to coordinate the effort?
(separate from CPAN for alpha code)???

Enquiring minds (and those with a bent toward public documentation :-)
want to know.

Thanks

Peter Prymmer

Sat, 29 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 X11/Motif module -- need feedback + testers

Quote:

> > I've been working on an X11/Motif perl module.  The module is
> > almost usable ...
> Ken this sounds great!  How do you intend to coordinate the effort?

I haven't even released the alpha to people who've asked for it,
so right now the "effort" doesn't take much coordinating.  I
don't have any resources to host a mailing list, but I'm sure that
comp.lang.perl.misc won't mind if we use that.  :-)  As soon as
the alpha testers can build and use the modules, I'll release it
as a beta on CPAN.  The only reason I'm hesitant to release the
code right now is that I want to make sure that it builds on other
platforms besides Solaris and IRIX.

BTW, if anybody wants to see the alpha, please tell me.  I don't
have enough testers yet.  Please!

- Ken

Wed, 02 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. X11/Motif module -- need feedback + testers

2. New release of X11::Motif, Lib, Toolkit, Xbae, XRT, Xpm

3. ANNOUNCE: X11::Motif 1.1 beta

4. X11/Motif binding (volunteers wanted)

5. Feedback Needed: new FlatDB.pm database module

6. WOMP: Web App Development module - feedback needed for CPAN

7. Feedback Needed: new FlatDB.pm database module

8. WOMP: Web App Development module - feedback needed for CPAN

9. module "motif"

10. Alpha testers needed for Psion DBF file extension

11. Need feedback on a business idea....

12. Audio package - testers needed.