Z39.50 module?
Author Message
 Z39.50 module?

    otis> Hello, I couldn't find any perl modules that support Z39.50
    otis> protocol?  Are there any modules that can talk Z39.50? Did I
    otis> just miss them?

Maybe it's that Perl module developers are too busy trying to make the
world a better place through coding, and anything that lended
credibility to Z39.50 would be a bit of a step backwards ? :-)

If you were really determined, you could probably code something up
using the BER encoding feature of (un)pack.  [Be afraid!]

Ciao!

Martin

Sat, 18 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Z39.50 module?

| Whois++, CIP ?
| teach me, I'm all eyes!

Hi!

Well, you could grab our implementation of both of the above in ROADS
version 2 beta, from... <URL:http://www.roads.lut.ac.uk/> :-)

There are still quite a few bogosities in this code, mostly due to our
slack programming style.  For the next major release, which should
start to appear in a couple of months' time, we're going for an
approach which gets "strict" on the library code and encapsulates most
of the core operations in Perl objects.  In theory this should let us
use the ROADS software as a front end to lots of backend storage and
indexing/retrieval systems, e.g. Glimpse, Swish, freeWAIS, Access(!).
Fingers crossed!

| why do you say Z39.50 is outdated?

It's an awful lot of trouble to go to just to ship queries and
problems building interoperable implementations (e.g. of the powerful
"explain" feature).  WAIS implemented a pragmatic subset of Z39.50
back in, when was it...  1988, and look what happened to them!  There's
also the use of the profile system by vendors to lock their customers
into continuing to buy their products, in spite of supposedly selling
open systems :-(

Ciao!

Martin

Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. QUE: DBD-Oracle-0.50 database module

2. Any place with code for manipulating MARC and Z39.50 with Perl??

3. HTML-Tree-0.50 make test failed

4. Patch for ExtUtils-DynaLib-0.50

5. ANNOUNCE: DB_File-1.50 Beta

6. Save over 50%

7. TOP 50

8. get master card and 50 dollar free with just 3 minutes

9. running perl scripts on U6000/50

10. perl 4.0 problems (Sun3/50 SunOS4.1)

11. Sample code needed for libwww-perl-5.50