Parsing problem
Author Message
 Parsing problem

please respond to email...

I am having problems with one of my subroutines (about 30 lines
out of  about 1000)...

Background:
I'm working on scripts to manage a pipe( | ) delimited database,
based on the Solena Sol DB_Manager scripts.  The database is for
Job and Resume listings for our website.

my forms are sending:

<textarea wrap=virtual ...>

which works fine, but if someone hits enter/return while in that
text area, my scripts turn that into a new line, which is then
turned into a new row for the database (incorrectly).  I would
like to change this carriage return character into the html <P>.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--Carl M.

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parsing problem
[posted & mailed]

        >snip<
: which works fine, but if someone hits enter/return while in that
: text area, my scripts turn that into a new line, which is then
: turned into a new row for the database (incorrectly).  I would
: like to change this carriage return character into the html <P>.
: Any suggestions?

        Something like this maybe?

        $form{text_area_field} =~ s/\n/<P>/gm;

        eg, run s/\n/<P>/gm on the field before you add it to the database.
--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parsing problem
Thanks to those who helped... problem fixed..

I now have 1000+ lines of perl cgi programming running.

--Carl M.

Quote:

> please respond to email...

> I am having problems with one of my subroutines (about 30 lines
> out of  about 1000)...

> Background:
> I'm working on scripts to manage a pipe( | ) delimited database,
> based on the Solena Sol DB_Manager scripts.  The database is for
> Job and Resume listings for our website.

> my forms are sending:

> <textarea wrap=virtual ...>

> which works fine, but if someone hits enter/return while in that
> text area, my scripts turn that into a new line, which is then
> turned into a new row for the database (incorrectly).  I would
> like to change this carriage return character into the html <P>.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks in advance.

> --Carl M.

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LWP, HTTP::Parse problems

2. Pickle of a Text Parsing Problem

3. parsing problems

4. CGI script parsing problem

5. a tough parsing problem revisited

6. a tough parsing problem revisited

7. Hairy, Harry, Hare (Krishna) Parsing problem

8. HTML Parsing problem.

9. Form parsing problem, probably simple

10. HTML Parsing problem.

11. grep and parse problem

12. small parsing problem