Redesign of search.cpan.org 
Author Message
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

search.cpan.org has been given an interesting facelift.  The HTML version of
the POD now offsets code in an attractive grayed-out box.  It's now possible
to go to the source code, the tests, etc., without having to download and
unzip the module.

I've got two quibbles so far:
1.  The directory structure has been changed such that if in documentation
you provided hard links to other CPAN modules, those links no longer work as
is.  For example, in my documentation of List::Compare, I previously linked
to Jarkko's Set::Scalar with this link:
    http://www.*-*-*.com/
I would now have to code that as:
    http://www.*-*-*.com/
Note the change from the /doc directory to /author .  This means I'll have
to redo some of my POD.

2.  Under 'Feedback', the Comments box does not wrap the text as you
right -- which means you have to hard-quad lines in order to see what you've
written.

What do other people think?

jk



Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:17:27 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

>search.cpan.org has been given an interesting facelift.  The HTML version of
>the POD now offsets code in an attractive grayed-out box.  It's now possible
>to go to the source code, the tests, etc., without having to download and
>unzip the module.

Nice. You do have another problem, though: you can't see the source for
modules that don't include any POD. See for example, the page for
Archive::Zip:

<http://search.cpan.org/author/NEDKONZ/Archive-Zip-1.01/lib/Archive/Zi...>

You cannot see the source for "Archive::Zip::BufferedFileHandle" or
"Archive::Zip::MockFileHandle".

--
        Bart.



Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:20:18 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

>You do have another problem, though: you can't see the source for
>modules that don't include any POD. See for example, the page for
>Archive::Zip:

It gets worse. Take Parse::RecDescent for example. That module uses a
separate file for the POD and for the source code:
"Parse/RecDescent.pod" and "Parse/RecDescent.pm" respectively. Well: if
you click on "view source", you get the source for the POD file, which
isn't interesting at all IMO, and not for the .pm file.

Somebody must have been using "perldoc -m $module" to get this result.
  ;-)

--
        Bart.



Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:25:34 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org



Quote:
> search.cpan.org has been given an interesting facelift.  The HTML version
of
> the POD now offsets code in an attractive grayed-out box.  It's now
possible
> to go to the source code, the tests, etc., without having to download and
> unzip the module.

> 2.  Under 'Feedback', the Comments box does not wrap the text as you
> right -- which means you have to hard-quad lines in order to see what
you've
> written.

And the Comments message I sent bounced!  It returned this message:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at x1.develooper.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.


Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)



Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:44:08 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

> It gets worse. Take Parse::RecDescent for example. That module uses a
> separate file for the POD and for the source code:
> "Parse/RecDescent.pod" and "Parse/RecDescent.pm" respectively. Well: if
> you click on "view source", you get the source for the POD file, which
> isn't interesting at all IMO, and not for the .pm file.

> Somebody must have been using "perldoc -m $module" to get this result.
>   ;-)

I've also noticed that the search function no longer works as expected.
After hearing about the problems I decided to check on my module.
Games::Object. When I tell it to search for that module, I do get that
in the results, but with *lots* of other hits too, which makes no sense.

My module also has the source-linked-to-pod problem, so this is a
general bug.

Pete



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:39:58 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

> And the Comments message I sent bounced!  It returned this message:

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at x1.develooper.com.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.


> Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)

Try it again. I just successfully submitted feedback for the same
problem and got an automated reply instead of a bounce (and the email
that it was sent to is different, so they may have noticed the problem
and corrected it).

Please submit your own comment, though. The more people they hear from,
the more likely they are to fix it.

Pete



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:46:11 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

>I've also noticed that the search function no longer works as expected.
>After hearing about the problems I decided to check on my module.
>Games::Object. When I tell it to search for that module, I do get that
>in the results, but with *lots* of other hits too, which makes no sense.

Try a search for "Parse::RecDescent". It's only the fifth hit. (And the
sixth...)

I think it's a matter of sorting the results better, so that if a module
exists with the exact name you provide, the main distribution for that
module should come out on top in the results.

--
        Bart.



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:25:48 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

> Try a search for "Parse::RecDescent". It's only the fifth hit. (And the
> sixth...)

> I think it's a matter of sorting the results better, so that if a module
> exists with the exact name you provide, the main distribution for that
> module should come out on top in the results.

The reply I got to my bug report appeared to suggest that it will now
match ANY component of the search string, which is why there are a lot
of hits. I suggested adding an "exact match" option for people that know
the exact name of the module.

Pete



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:06:25 GMT  
 Redesign of search.cpan.org

Quote:

> Try it again. I just successfully submitted feedback for the same
> problem and got an automated reply instead of a bounce (and the email
> that it was sent to is different, so they may have noticed the problem
> and corrected it).

> Please submit your own comment, though. The more people they hear from,
> the more likely they are to fix it.

> Pete

No need to try it again now. I got a reply to my bug report and the
problem has been fixed.

Pete



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 07:08:48 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. search.cpan.org seems to be down

2. search.cpan.org hacked!

3. search.cpan.org

4. ANNOUNCE: New CPAN Search cpan2.org

5. CPAN archive now accessible at http://www.perl.org/CPAN/

6. CPAN archive now accessible at http://www.perl.org/CPAN/

7. CPAN.org now CJAN ???

8. pause.cpan.org has resurrected my deleted files!

9. www.cpan.org links

10. cpan.org Changed

11. devel.tar.gz does not exist at www.cpan.org/src

12. Problems with perl.org/perlmongers.org websites and email addresses

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software