substitute for awk in Perl
Author Message
 substitute for awk in Perl

Hello,

Can anyone suggest a function or similar function  for replacing UNIX's
awk for Perl ?

TIA

Regards
Jason

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 substitute for awk in Perl

Quote:

> Can anyone suggest a function or similar function  for replacing
> UNIX's awk for Perl ?

How about a2p, which comes with the standard distribution? It converts
awk to perl.

Cheers,
Philip

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 substitute for awk in Perl

:Can anyone suggest a function or similar function  for replacing UNIX's
:awk for Perl ?

Well, I for one would suggest awk -- not eveyrthing has to
be written in Perl.  That's why separate tools exist!

But for those of you who find yourself horrible prisoners of
primitive, legacy systems, you should really look into ...

            +-------------------------------+
            | PERL  POWER  TOOLS |
            | http://language.perl.com/ppt/ |
            +-------------------------------+

which has a calling-convention-compatible version of "awk"
that fixes things up and then invokes that standard a2p
tool to the use the rest of the work.

--tom
--
Let me put it to you this way: computers are my business.  --Andrew Hume

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. split and substitute, substitute, substitute

2. convert awk to perl Matching in Perl not like awk it seems

3. When did you last use AWK (was Re: free book on sh/sed/awk)

4. INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR - why AWK better than Perl?

5. AWK to perl trans?

6. Equivalent of awk's $NF in perl

7. sed, awk, perl

8. awk, scheme, tcl, and/or perl (was: Why you should not use Tcl)

9. Extract portions of files using awk or perl

10. converting from awk to perl

11. Advice: AWK, Perl or REXX for DOS user??

12. awk in perl