Trouble installing(Compiling) modules (out-of-date error)
Author Message
 Trouble installing(Compiling) modules (out-of-date error)

After some nagging from my wife (who really wants to set up an interactive
messageboard for her website), I finally installed Linux on one of our old
PCs.  Its the Corel distribution running on a K6/333 with 32mb ram (I tried
installing the RedHat distribution, but their install craps out on a Signal
4).  The messageboard my wife really likes is wwwThreads, which requires
perl, mysql, dbi and the mysql dbi driver.

My Problem is:
    Whenever I try to compile a CPAN module (like DBI), I get stuck in an
annoying make loop.  The makefile just keeps remaking itself (from
Makefile.PL).

I'm a newbie to Linux, but have fooled around with Unix is the distant past,
so I have half a clue to what I'm doing.  My guess is that since its a
vanilla installation of the Corel distribution (which installed perl by
default), something isnt configured correctly.  Anyone encounter this
problem and have a solution?  With my luck, fixing it'll require
reinstalling and re-compiling perl =P

Here is the output from make:
    Makefile out-of-date with respect to
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/CORE/config.h
    Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
    make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true
    /usr/bin/perl "-I/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004" "-I/usr/lib/perl5"
Makefile.PL
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for DBI
    ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
    ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
    false

Here is the code in the auto-generated Makefile that is causing it"
    # --- MakeMaker makefile section:
    $(OBJECT) : $(FIRST_MAKEFILE)

    # We take a very conservative approach here, but it\'s worth it.
    # We move Makefile to Makefile.old here to avoid gnu make looping.
    Makefile : Makefile.PL $(CONFIGDEP)

     -$(MAKE) -f Makefile.old clean $(DEV_NULL) || $(NOOP)
     $(PERL) "-I$(PERL_ARCHLIB)" "-I$(PERL_LIB)" Makefile.PL

     false

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Trouble installing Date::Manip module

2. Trouble compiling modules from CPAN

3. trouble compiling modules

4. Trouble installing modules

5. MODULE Sybperl : Trouble installing

6. Trouble installing module (Unicode) on Win32

7. Newbie : Trouble install module

8. continued troubles installing modules w/ CPAN

9. trouble installing modules with CPAN

10. Trouble installing modules with perl -MCPAN -e shell

11. Trouble installing 'private' versions of modules

12. Trouble installing expat module