Image::Size installation problems..IO-stuff and more!
Author Message
 Image::Size installation problems..IO-stuff and more!

I really need something to get image height & width from perl.

Downloaded the Image::Size module v2.7 which everyone recommends, but
it complains about some IO-stuff:

**

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/all.t line 4.
FAILED before any test output arrived
        Test returned status 2 (wstat 512)
FAILED--1 test script could be run, alas -- no output ever seen
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 29
**

A quick search in Dejanews suggested I get IO-1.20 module (or
whatever), and I did.

Result:
**
/usr/include/sys/types.h:4: linux/types.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/signal.h:28: linux/signal.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/posix1_lim.h:72: linux/limits.h: No such file or
directory
/usr/include/sys/param.h:5: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/param.h:6: linux/param.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/errno.h:27: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:5: linux/socket.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:78: linux/in.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:8: linux/stat.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/time.h:5: linux/types.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/time.h:6: linux/time.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/times.h:7: linux/times.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/ioctl.h:4: linux/ioctl.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/termios.h:28: linux/termios.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/sys/socketio.h:1: linux/sockios.h: No such file or
directory
/usr/include/dirent.h:36: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/dirent.h:37: linux/dirent.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/fcntl.h:29: linux/fcntl.h: No such file or directory
**

Even that won't install..

I'm running Perl version 5.003.  Ok, let's try upgrade that.
Big surprise! Even that wouldn't work. It couldn't find a C-compiler
or something, and of all people, the Configure program decided to ask
me where it was.. It was all over..

What to do now?

(system is Red Hat 4.1 - kernel 2.0.27)

Since I was on a roll, I tried to install the ImageMagick-program,
thinking it would work nicely for my purpose.
"Data type 9 not supprted" it tells me when I try to rpm it..

Not my lucky day, I guess.. :/

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Size installation problems..IO-stuff and more!

Quote:

>I'm running Perl version 5.003.  Ok, let's try upgrade that.
>Big surprise! Even that wouldn't work. It couldn't find a C-compiler
>or something, and of all people, the Configure program decided to ask
>me where it was.. It was all over..

>What to do now?

Do you have a C compiler installed? Have you installed the kernel sources?

--

Alastair

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Size installation problems..IO-stuff and more!

Quote:

>Do you have a C compiler installed? Have you installed the kernel sources?

I found gcc.. No kernel sources.. (well, only 1.5MB in /usr/src).

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Size installation problems..IO-stuff and more!

Quote:

>>Do you have a C compiler installed? Have you installed the kernel sources?

>I found gcc.. No kernel sources.. (well, only 1.5MB in /usr/src).

No kernel sources means no include files. You should update you're installation
so the include files are installed (/usr/include) - in fact, install a full
development system.

--

Alastair

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Size installation problems..IO-stuff and more!

Quote:

> I really need something to get image height & width from perl.

> Downloaded the Image::Size module v2.7 which everyone recommends, but
> it complains about some IO-stuff:

> **

> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/all.t line 4.
> FAILED before any test output arrived
>         Test returned status 2 (wstat 512)
> FAILED--1 test script could be run, alas -- no output ever seen
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 29
> **
[...]
> I'm running Perl version 5.003.  Ok, let's try upgrade that.
> Big surprise! Even that wouldn't work. It couldn't find a C-compiler
> or something, and of all people, the Configure program decided to ask
> me where it was.. It was all over..

> What to do now?

> (system is Red Hat 4.1 - kernel 2.0.27)

Try installing a RPM for 5.004 or higher.  IO::File is bundled with
Perl starting with version 5.004.  You may not be able to find a libc5
RPM for Perl 5.004 though, but really you should be using glibc
anyway, so why don't you upgrade Red Hat to 5.1?

Since many Perl modules, including IO, require certain header files
and libraries which are only installed if you have all the development
files installed, you probably ought to install those RPMs as well.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/

 PGP Key 0x2BD331E5; Public key at http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/pubkey.txt
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Image Magick finding image size without loading image

2. Installation Problem with IO module

3. Installation Problem with IO module

4. Installation Problem with IO module

5. Image::Size problem under Win 98

6. Problem using Image::Size

7. Problem using Image::Size on a webserver

8. IO::Socket && IO::Select Problem

9. Module Problems: IO object version 1.19 does not match $IO:: 1.15

10. IO::Socket - Listen queue size

11. Image::Size 2.7 Uploaded to PAUSE

12. image size for jpg and/or gif