Module instalation questions
Author Message
 Module instalation questions

I have a few questions about installing modules locally since I do not
have root access to the server.

 1) I have used   perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site \
INSTALLSITELIB=/home/fred/lib \ lib =/home/fred/lib/arch to install
modules into my local lib directory, but I can never get a pod because it
always tries to install it in the systems perldoc directory. (same with
manify but that does not bother me).  Is it possible to get the pod
installed locally?

2) Some modules require other modules for installation (like GD and
GIFgraph) but don't look in my local lib for that module. I have gotten
around that by modifying the .pm file, adding 'use lib mylib'. Is there a

path does not seem to work?

3) Where can I find the FAQ for this newsgroup? I seems odd that I cant
find it anywhere in perl.com.

4) Is there a good discription of exactly what goes on during an install?
I often wonder about these things like, why cant I modify the Makefile? I
understand it could be tricky but the Makefile always says

#  ANY CHANGES MADE HERE WILL BE LOST!

What gives here? I'd love to read a detailed description of what is going on.

Thanks

David

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Module instalation questions

Quote:

>I have a few questions about installing modules locally since I do not
>have root access to the server.

Check the perl manpage, paying attention to the section that describes
the PERL5LIB environment variable.  This should solve problems (1) and
(2)...

Quote:
>3) Where can I find the FAQ for this newsgroup? I seems odd that I cant
>find it anywhere in perl.com.

Don't really pay attention to that... it should be posted every so often, if
there _is_ one.

Quote:
>#  ANY CHANGES MADE HERE WILL BE LOST!

>What gives here? I'd love to read a detailed description of what is going

on.

The above warning exists because Makefiles are automagically generated when
you run 'perl Makefile.PL'...  You can still edit/look through the Makefile,
but unless
you're debugging a faulty installation, there's not much point from a Perl
POV,
being as make doesn't have very much to do with perl.

If you'd like to get into what happens during the install, I'd suggest
reading over
the Makefile.PL first...  for most modules this will be somewhat trivial.
The next
step is to make a cup of coffee and go over the MakeMaker documentation...
:-)

Hope that helps,
+---                                               ---+
  Steve Purkis        Carleton U Computer Engineering
  Agent Perl module: http://epn.ml.org/~spurkis/Agent

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Instalation problem

2. mod_perl instalation error

3. HELP - perl instalation

4. DBI instalation problem

5. Problems with my mod_perl instalation on Aix

6. oracle client instalation

7. help needed with Perl instalation with NT

8. Solved: easy instalation of IlyaZ's Perl in DOS

9. Q: Instalation on ULTRIX 4

10. Solaris2.5 Perl 5 instalation

11. Perl instalation

12. Perl5 instalation on Solaris 2.5