getting around 'make' with NT for modules install
Author Message
 getting around 'make' with NT for modules install

I'm trying to install the libnet bundle of modules on an NT 4.0 server.
I am running ActiveState's perl:

E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>perl -v
This is perl, version 5.005_02 built for MSWin32-x86-object
Copyright 1987-1998, Larry Wall
Binary build 506 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Built 15:40:37 Oct 27 1998

I have the Uwin 1.6 Unix utilies installed on the machine, it comes with
make (which is really just gmake):

E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>\usr\bin\gmake -v
GNU Make version 3.70-mam-coshell, by Richard Stallman and Roland
McGrath.

E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>perl Makefile.PL
Checking for Socket...ok
Checking for IO::Socket...ok
Checking for Data::Dumper...ok
Writing Makefile for Net

E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>\usr\bin\make
Makefile:106: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.

Indeed, it seems to not like lines like:

MAN3PODS = Net/Cmd.pm \
        Net/Domain.pm \
        Net/DummyInetd.pm \
        Net/FTP.pm \
        Net/NNTP.pm \
        Net/Netrc.pm \
        Net/PH.pm \
        Net/POP3.pm \
        Net/SMTP.pm \
        Net/SNPP.pm \
        Net/Time.pm

As in it doesn't like the '\' for a line continuation.  But there are
tons of
these in the Makefile and I'd rather not go through cleaning them up.

Is there a better version of make, or some way to do the install not
using make?

Thanks,

-rob

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 getting around 'make' with NT for modules install
1
In C:\Perl\lib\Config.pm line 446 I have
make='nmake'
What does yours say?

2
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe.
If you're using ActiveState's perl port, then this should work - if not, you
might
have to edit perl's Config.pm file to tell it what make program you're
using.

--
Ron Savage

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~rpsavage

Quote:

>I'm trying to install the libnet bundle of modules on an NT 4.0 server.
>I am running ActiveState's perl:

>E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>perl -v
>This is perl, version 5.005_02 built for MSWin32-x86-object
>Copyright 1987-1998, Larry Wall
>Binary build 506 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
>http://www.ActiveState.com
>Built 15:40:37 Oct 27 1998

>I have the Uwin 1.6 Unix utilies installed on the machine, it comes with
>make (which is really just gmake):

>E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>\usr\bin\gmake -v
>GNU Make version 3.70-mam-coshell, by Richard Stallman and Roland
>McGrath.

>E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>perl Makefile.PL
>Checking for Socket...ok
>Checking for IO::Socket...ok
>Checking for Data::Dumper...ok
>Writing Makefile for Net

>E:\TEMP\libnet\LIBNET~1.060>\usr\bin\make
>Makefile:106: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.

>Indeed, it seems to not like lines like:

>MAN3PODS = Net/Cmd.pm \
> Net/Domain.pm \
> Net/DummyInetd.pm \
> Net/FTP.pm \
> Net/NNTP.pm \
> Net/Netrc.pm \
> Net/PH.pm \
> Net/POP3.pm \
> Net/SMTP.pm \
> Net/SNPP.pm \
> Net/Time.pm

>As in it doesn't like the '\' for a line continuation.  But there are
>tons of
>these in the Makefile and I'd rather not go through cleaning them up.

>Is there a better version of make, or some way to do the install not
>using make?

>Thanks,

>-rob

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting around M$ Outlook's handling of multipart/alternative

2. Getting around Netscape's cache via a perl cgi script

3. Can't install Net module using ppm - Can't find module

4. installing modules without 'make'

5. Installing modules without 'make'

6. local install of '.so' modules

7. Trouble installing 'private' versions of modules

8. Getting my head around crypt() on NT

9. Installing XML::Parser 'make install error'

10. 'making' perl

11. making 'perl' (help)

12. making 'find' follow soft links