HTML::Template - opinions?
Author Message
 HTML::Template - opinions?

Hello,
   I'm looking at the HTML::Template module to help standardize a web
site. I'd like to hear some perceived pros/cons and opinions in
general.

Thanks
JayD.

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:39:32 GMT
 HTML::Template - opinions?

Quote:

>    I'm looking at the HTML::Template module to help standardize a web
> site. I'd like to hear some perceived pros/cons and opinions in
> general.

It's small and fast. Works well for me. There's an active mailing list
available for it (check out the docs).

Chris

until$s[$i];$c=$s[$i];print$c;undef$s[$i];$i=($i+(ord$c))%$l}

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:16:55 GMT
 HTML::Template - opinions?

Quote:
> Hello,
>    I'm looking at the HTML::Template module to help standardize a web
> site. I'd like to hear some perceived pros/cons and opinions in
> general.

I haven't used it, but it looks good.
Part of my reasoning for it was that I expected to have to add all sorts of
things, and at the time I preffered to do these to my own code rather than
someone elses.

One problem is that although web designers should be able to do the pages -
few can understand the templating scheme.

On the whole, I don't know how what I do would be possible without some sort
of templating mechanism.

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:06:03 GMT
 HTML::Template - opinions?

Quote:

>    I'm looking at the HTML::Template module to help standardize a web
> site. I'd like to hear some perceived pros/cons and opinions in
> general.

What I don't like is the template syntax and that there is no way to
access multidimensional data structures like with the Template Toolkit.
That was the reason I created an own template module (HTML::KTemplate),
but HTML::Template is still the better choice because it is heavily
tested and very mature.

Kasper

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:57:50 GMT
 HTML::Template - opinions?

Quote:

> One think about the syntax I like is the option to make the variables
> appear as HTML comments.

I didn't know that, but I still prefer the Template Toolkit like syntax
[% VALUE %] mixed with HTML comments for blocks.

Kasper

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:11:54 GMT
 HTML::Template - opinions?

Quote:

>>    I'm looking at the HTML::Template module to help standardize a web
>> site. I'd like to hear some perceived pros/cons and opinions in
>> general.

> What I don't like is the template syntax

One think about the syntax I like is the option to make the variables
appear as HTML comments. Instead of

     <TMPL_VAR VALUE>

you can use

     <!-- TMPL_VAR VALUE -->

and with that be able to check the template itself in a HTML validator.

/ Gunnar

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:50:12 GMT

1. Template Toolkit vs. HTML::Template

2. RFC: HTML templates and templates in general.

3. Programming Templates HTML pages in Perl / Plantillas HTML con Perl

4. Your opinion on an HTML stripper regex

5. HTML Templates stored in Postgres using Perl

6. Template Toolkit, Databases, and HTML

7. ANNOUNCEMENT: NEW VERSION: HTML::Template 1.4

8. ANNOUNCEMENT: NEW VERSION: HTML::Template 0.04

9. HTML Template => Arrays

10. Array and html template

11. HTML::Template question

12. CGI, Tk, HTML Templates ?????