how to install perl CPAN module on server
Author Message
 how to install perl CPAN module on server

Hello, World

    I'm try to install mail::POP3Client module on server, but
    got some error.

    download POP3Client-1_15.tar.gz from perl.com, then used
    %gunzip POP3Client-1_15.tar.gz
    I got POP3CLient-1_15.tar then I used
    %tar -xvf POP3Client-1_15.tar I got
    POP3CLIent-1_15 then
    %cd POP3CLient-1_15
    %/usr/local/bin/perl  Makefile.PL
    %make install here I got error as following:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-bsdos at -e line 1
    *** error code
    our platform is sun SPARC station.

    Is it system setup problem or something else, how to fix it

    Thanks

    Shengxuan Li

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 how to install perl CPAN module on server

Quote:

> Hello, World

>     I'm try to install mail::POP3Client module on server, but
>     got some error.

>     download POP3Client-1_15.tar.gz from perl.com, then used
>     %gunzip POP3Client-1_15.tar.gz
>     I got POP3CLient-1_15.tar then I used
>     %tar -xvf POP3Client-1_15.tar I got
>     POP3CLIent-1_15 then
>     %cd POP3CLient-1_15
>     %/usr/local/bin/perl  Makefile.PL
>     %make install here I got error as following:
>     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-bsdos at -e line 1
>     *** error code
>     our platform is sun SPARC station.

>     Is it system setup problem or something else, how to fix it

>     Thanks

>     Shengxuan Li

Most likely, your system Perl library directories (well, at least
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-bsdos) are owned by root.

Log in as root, and do the "make install" then.  Or have your
sysadmin do it.  Yes, this is totally normal.

Hope that helps,
--

 / _ \| '_| | | |/ _ ' /  Hughes STX, NASA/Goddard Space Flight Cntr.
|  __/| | | |_| | |_| |   http://www.enteract.com/~eryq
 \___||_|  \__, |\__, |___/\  Visit STREETWISE, Chicago's newspaper by/
           |___/    |______/ of the homeless: http://www.streetwise.org

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 how to install perl CPAN module on server

Quote:
>     %make install here I got error as following:
>     /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-bsdos at -e line 1
>     *** error code
>     our platform is sun SPARC station.

>     Is it system setup problem or something else, how to fix it

It's standard unix permissions problems. You're trying to install in a
directory where you don't have any write permissions. You will have to
get your system admin to install it with the same permissions as perl
was installed

-or-

have your system admin set the permissions for everything in the
site_perl directory to something so you're allowed to use it (very
unlikely that he/she will do that)

-or-

or perl -I...), man perlvar.

--
Martien Verbruggen

Webmaster www.tradingpost.com.au
Commercial Dynamics Pty Ltd, N.S.W., Australia

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. replicating (cpan) modules across server installs

2. module install problems with cpan module and gcc?

3. CPAN - Installing modules without perl upgrade

4. a documentation of all installed modules (perl/lib) by means of CPAN.pm and manpages

5. Installing CPAN perl modules on Remote site

6. Finding Perl Modules installed on server

7. newbie: howto install CPAN module in my home

8. ARCHLIB for CPAN-installed modules

9. CPAN module install?

10. CPAN module install problems

11. Re Installing modules from CPAN

12. Installing a module downloaded from CPAN