Can't get "make test" to work for DBD::Oracle
Author Message
 Can't get "make test" to work for DBD::Oracle

I've compiled and successfully tested the DBI portion, and I've compiled the
DBD::Oracle module on a Solaris server up to the "make test" part with no
errors  (just the warnings that the README mentioned), but when I run the make
test I get the following error message (paraphrased, because I can't bring it
home from work nor post to the internet from there):

"Can't load /yadda/yadda/yadda/Oracle.so.  Symbol not found in
something-or-other at line 16 in Oracle.pm.  Test 4 & 5 failed, 60% OK."

I know, this is less than informative; I'm doing this from memory at home, I
didn't even copy the error message down.  I didn't plan on asking for help
here, but I figured what the heck? What else am I gonna do this weekend?

Now, the thing is that /yadda/yadda/yadda/Oracle.so is where it's supposed to
be and has good perms.  I'm trying to build DBD-Oracle-0.44 with an Oracle
7.3.3 db.  I did see a line in the README about the "can't load Oracle.so"
error message, but it wasn't for a Solaris system (though I did see the note
that these errors may occur on other systems as well), and the recommended fix
was to "include the -lc on the command line, but not on a separate line."

_What_ command line? Do I need to edit the test.pl file?  You know, if they're
not going to offer a binary load of these things, they really should not assume
that everyone trying to run these makefiles is an expert on ld command-line
parameters, or the ins and outs of how make works.

I really, really want to get this perl module working so we can get away from C
programming the CGI scripts that talk to the Oracle db.  Can someone at least
tell me where the -lc option should go to try that fix?

Thanks for listening to my rant, and for any and all help!
Jamie Schrumpf                             http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~moncomm

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't get "make test" to work for DBD::Oracle
[ couteousy CC to poster]

Quote:

>What else am I gonna do this weekend?

Oh, that is SO open-ended! I'll resist the temptation.

Quote:
> Now, the thing is that /yadda/yadda/yadda/Oracle.so is where it's supposed to
> be and has good perms.  I'm trying to build DBD-Oracle-0.44 with an Oracle
> 7.3.3 db.

Ouch! The latest version of DBD::Oracle is 0.54. The latest DBI is 1.02.
Suggest you start by upgrading unless you have a good reason not to.

--
Matthew O. Persico
Nothing even remotely clever at the moment.

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't get "make test" to work for DBD::Oracle

Quote:

>[ couteousy CC to poster]

>>What else am I gonna do this weekend?
>Oh, that is SO open-ended! I'll resist the temptation.

>> Now, the thing is that /yadda/yadda/yadda/Oracle.so is where it's supposed
>> be and has good perms.  I'm trying to build DBD-Oracle-0.44 with an Oracle
>> 7.3.3 db.

>Ouch! The latest version of DBD::Oracle is 0.54. The latest DBI is 1.02.
>Suggest you start by upgrading unless you have a good reason not to.

>--
>Matthew O. Persico
>Nothing even remotely clever at the moment.

Hm. 0.54 eh?  I'll have to get the "certified downloader" at work to pick this
stuff up for me.

It's a drag working for DoD sometimes...
Jamie Schrumpf                             http://www.access.digex.net/~moncomm

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. DBD::Oracle "make test" strangeness

2. DBD::Oracle "make test" on Linux

3. can't "make" DBD::Oracle

4. DBI::Oracle fails "make test"

5. DBD-Sybase Problem - Failed "make test"

6. HELP getting "POST" to work

7. DBD::Oracle hangs on 'make test'

8. DBD Oracle 'make test' fails

9. /\|/ works but "\|" doesn't

10. Perl 5.0005_02 fails "make test", db-btree and db-hash tests

11. "testargex": Learn by testing regular expressions or test thosecomplex ones

12. DBI/DBD/Oracle connect won't work (ORA-12154)