spell checker...
Author Message
 spell checker...

I'm trying to find a function that will let me
check the spelling of something programatically.
I've been looking through comp.lang.perl.misc and
this group, as well as doing net searches, and not
having a lot of luck.  There's *lots* of hits for
tools that will let me check a file, but that's not
what I'm looking for.

And as if I don't feel like I'm asking too much
already, I'd like to be able to do a soundex kind of
thing to the word I'm looking up if it is misspelled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 spell checker...

Ispell has a synchronous mode using the -a option.  It even presents
a list of near misses when it can.  There is a soundex module in
the 5.003 release, Text::Soundex.  I'm not sure how soundex
will help with general spelling though, it is rather strongly biased
to US phonetic spellings of common English last names.

chris

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use IPC::Open2;

open2(R, W, "ispell -a") or die "$!\n";
$c = <R>;
while (<DATA>) {
    for (split /\W+/) {
        print W "$_\n";
        print "$_\n";
        while (($c = <R>) !~ /^$/) {
            print " $c";
        }
    }

Quote:
}

close (R);
close (W);

__END__
I'm trying to find a function that will let me
check the spelling of something programatically.
I've been looking through comp.lang.perl.misc and
this group, as well as doing net searches, and not
having a lot of luck.  There's *lots* of hits for
tools that will let me check a file, but that's not
what I'm looking for.

And as if I don't feel like I'm asking too much
already, I'd like to be able to do a soundex kind of
thing to the word I'm looking up if it is misspelled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fri, 28 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. open source spell checker for German

2. Form Text Box Spell Checker, HTML Converter?

3. Spell Checker (am I reinventing the wheel?)

4. Spell Checker??

5. Webpage Spell Checker in Perl

6. Spell Checker

7. Spell Checker

8. Spell Checker In Perl

9. Spell checker

10. WANTED: Spell checker for text widget

11. creating a spell checker like utility

12. Better Spell Checker Algorithms?