Pub needs automated web page generator program
Author Message
 Pub needs automated web page generator program

I run a number of publications and need a program where I can have writers
place the articles in a password protected field and have the program
automatically generate a page with my advertising on top.

I would even like it so that I can customize the page into three columns or
whatever I want and have it so that the writer can type in his name and
headline and have the program generate all of that. Any one know of such a
program? Help.

Ron Ricota

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pub needs automated web page generator program

Quote:

> I run a number of publications and need a program where I can have writers
> place the articles in a password protected field and have the program
> automatically generate a page with my advertising on top.
> I would even like it so that I can customize the page into three columns or
> whatever I want and have it so that the writer can type in his name and
> headline and have the program generate all of that. Any one know of such a
> program? Help.

Sure. Lots of people have created them from scratch using Perl. I
created one that does most of what you describe for my employer, a
publisher of trade magazines and organizer of trade shows and whatnot.

It's not likely to work as a turnkey solution for you, since it is so
heavily customized and focused on our particular needs. It wasn't
*that* hard to make, though; I'm not a fulltime programmer, more an
editor with a technical bent, and I was able to teach myself enough
Perl to do this kind of thing over a couple of years of poking away at
problems of gradually increasing complexity.

You *may* be able to find some kind of shrink-wrapped solution, but for
my money, you'll have more fun and go a lot further in the long run if
you learn to build your own tools. This stuff is not that hard.

Get "Learning Perl" and "Programming Perl" and "The Perl Cookbook" from
O'Reilly & Associates, hang around this newsgroup and do a lot of
reading, get yourself a shell account on a Unix machine, and get busy.

Arise, accidental programmers. You have nothing to lose but your
shackles!

--
John Callender

http://www.west.net/~jbc/

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need a program to submit my web page to search engines

2. Web page generator

3. Wanted: multi-page web robot for automated testing

4. Automating Web Page Update

5. Perl Programs Serving Web Pages

6. Input a web page to a perl program

7. please help - cgi database access script / program for web page

8. how to compile a fortran program from web page

9. Looking for a Program to Produce Web Page from Humor Mail

10. Free help for programming students web page

11. Programming related web page

12. help needed: posting variables to a web page?