Win32::ODBC strangeness with SQL Server databases?
Author Message
 Win32::ODBC strangeness with SQL Server databases?

Hello all,

I'm accessing a SQL Server 7.0 database with the Win32::ODBC module.

I have a table with 5 columns defined as datatype = varchar and length =
2000.

Using the following syntax in my perl scripts, $db->Sql("INSERT ......."),
all
works well. Data up to and including 2000 characters can be inserted without
error. This is confirmed by looking at the tables interactively using the
SQL
Server interface.

However, by using the following in my perl scripts,

   $db->Sql("SELECT .....");
   $db->FetchRow();

only the first 256 characters of data for each column are returned.

What is strange is that the previous database that I was using was Access,
and
I was able to return the entire entry (all 2000+ characters) using the above
syntax. It was only after switching to a SQL Server 7.0 database that this
unusual behavior was shown.

I tried tinkering with the SetMaxBuffSize function (ODBC.pm) with values
up to 100000k (the default is 10240k), but to no avail.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Kelley

Sun, 02 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win32::ODBC strangeness with SQL Server databases?

2. LONG: Req: Help in retrieving values from SQL Server stored procedure using Win32::ODBC

3. Win32:ODBC and Microsoft's SQL Server 6.5

4. Win32::ODBC and transactions with SQL Server

5. SQL Server 7 and Win32::ODBC perl module

6. Configure Win32::ODBC Connection to a SQL Server?

7. SQL Server 7 and Win32::ODBC perl module

8. DBD::ODBC::db prepare failed: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'tblClient'. (SQL-S0002)

9. Linux Msqlperl, WDB SQL,,Mini SQL Database Server, SebServer

10. Perl access of SQL database NT4.0 SQL Server 6.5

11. Win32::ODBC, Perl SQL vs. standard SQL

12. Accessesing SQL Server 7 database from a UNIX server