Why 'use CGI' syntax works offline but not online?
Author Message
 Why 'use CGI' syntax works offline but not online?

My CGI scripts once worked with 'use my_needed_mod'. However recently
they work offline but not online. 'Server Error' message will generate
when using Online.

I want to know this is due to Web server or 'use module' or both
interact?
Can you help me on this? One more thing: without 'use mod', that is,
writing everything from scratches is OK. Is it Web server configuration
problem?

Thanks in advance.

Heng

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why 'use CGI' syntax works offline but not online?

Quote:

> I want to know this is due to Web server or 'use module' or both
> interact?

What are the error messages in your web server's error log?  In general,
if something works from the command-line, but not when invoked by CGI,
then the problem is *usually* in the web server's configuration.  If you
post your error messages, and the code that generates them, we will be
better able to help you.

-=Eric

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why 'use CGI' syntax works offline but not online?
: My CGI scripts once worked with 'use my_needed_mod'. However recently
: they work offline but not online. 'Server Error' message will generate
: when using Online.

1. See the please-don't-be-offended-by-the-name "Idiot's Guide to
   Solving Perl CGI Problems" document at CPAN,
   http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html

2. Check the webserver's error log to see what causes the 'Server Error'.

3. Put a line "use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);" right after the shebang
   line at the top of your script. That way, all errors generated by the
   script will show up in the browser.

cu,
  Martin
--
                        | Martin Vorlaender | VMS & WNT programmer

 Microsoft wants        |       http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why 'use CGI' syntax works offline but not online?

: My CGI scripts once worked with 'use my_needed_mod'. However recently
: they work offline but not online. 'Server Error' message will generate
: when using Online.

: I want to know this is due to Web server or 'use module' or both
: interact?
: Can you help me on this? One more thing: without 'use mod', that is,
: writing everything from scratches is OK. Is it Web server configuration
: problem?

        One thing I run into quite regularly is bad Perl installations.
For example, the perl installation consisting of only a copied Perl
executable (no library files or modules), etc.  If it works on your
server (which I assume has a full installation) but fails on another
this could be a cause.

                Cheers,

                        ~kj

(followups reset to only comp.lang.perl.misc)

Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why 'use CGI' syntax works offline but not online?

2. Works offline but not online

3. why doesn't the following syntax work?

4. DBD::XBase 'not' not working

5. this example won't work..why not?

6. Perl 5.6 says 'syntax error', Perl 5.005_03 does not

7. Using exec-Why won't this work?

8. why won't the cgi work

9. why won't this cgi script work?

10. offline testing of Perl/CGI's