Compiling a module with C code on a NT Machine
Author Message
 Compiling a module with C code on a NT Machine

I am trying to install several modules for the first time on an NT machine
(W2K Pro). When I try to install modules that have C code on them, they fail
because I don't have the "cl" command.

My guess cl is the C compiler so my question is, where can I find a freeware
copy of one for my platform? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I
spend quite a bit of time searching the net but could not find one. Thanks
in advance.

Abdon G.

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiling a module with C code on a NT Machine

Quote:
> I am trying to install several modules for the first time on an NT machine
> (W2K Pro). When I try to install modules that have C code on them, they fail
> because I don't have the "cl" command.
> My guess cl is the C compiler so my question is, where can I find a freeware
> copy of one for my platform? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I
> spend quite a bit of time searching the net but could not find one. Thanks
> in advance.

Perl generally likes XS-based modules to be compiled with the
same compiler that was used to build perl. It sounds like your
perl was built with VC++ (cl.exe), so if you want to build your
own XS modules with this perl, it's easiest to buy VC++. If you'd
rather not, there are free Win32 C compilers available from,
eg, cygwin and from Borland that Perl can be built with - the
README.win32 file in the Perl sources discusses how to do this.

If you're using ActiveState's perl, are you aware that
ActiveState provides many precompiled modules via their
PPM utility? The html docs ActiveState includes with their
package explain how to use this.

best regards,
randy kobes

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
:
: My guess cl is the C compiler so my question is, where can I find a
: freeware copy of one for my platform? Any help would be greatly
: appreciated as I spend quite a bit of time searching the net but could
: not find one.

If you're using ActivePerl, you'll need Microsoft Visual C++. Or use the
Perl Package Manager PPM to install pre-compiled modules.

Another option would be to build perl from scratch, and then install
modules from CPAN. Download the perl source stable.tar.gz from
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/ and read the README.win32 on supported compilers.

cu,
  Martin
--
One OS to rule them all       | Martin Vorlaender  |  VMS & WNT programmer

One OS to bring them all      |       http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/

Sun, 09 Feb 2003 11:11:19 GMT

1. Hot novel by CS professor, includes perl code

2. win32 module compile then move to another machine?

3. Compiling Modules w/XS code in 5.005063 (threaded)

4. compiling modules for NT

5. Problem while compiling an XS module on Windows NT

6. pre-compiled perl modules for NT????

7. Compiling modules under NT DBD::DB2

8. Compiling code at run-time, not compile-time

9. executing x86 machine code from perl

10. PERL 5.001 --unable to compile on a SVR4 machine

11. Same code, diff machines, diff results

12. Problems in compiling DBD::Oracle on my machine