Perl on Windows 95 
Author Message
 Perl on Windows 95

I am setting up a website and I want to use some scripts.  I want to
test them to make sure they work befor sending them to the ISP.  I
downloaded Perl for Windows 95/NT.  I can see if a script compiles and
what its output is in a dos box by typing C:\>perl myscript.pl.  

I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
script nothing happened.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks.



Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

You may want to check out our Perl for Windoze pages:
URL="http://hjs.geol.uib.no/Perl/index3.htm"

Quote:
>I am setting up a website and I want to use some scripts.  I want to
>test them to make sure they work befor sending them to the ISP.  I
>downloaded Perl for Windows 95/NT.  I can see if a script compiles and
>what its output is in a dos box by typing C:\>perl myscript.pl.  

>I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
>locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
>this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
>script nothing happened.  

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks.

Hans Schrader-Eureka's SySop:



Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

Mark,

You wrote,

Quote:
> I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
> locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
> this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
> script nothing happened.  

Well, here are two options:

1)Use Netscape's File|Open command to directly open the script.  When
netscape says it doesn't know what to do with the file, tell it to open
it with the script interpreter (ie: if you're using perl, tell it to use
perl.exe as the helper.) All this will do is have Netscape open the perl
command window and run the script every time you open a .pl file. This
won't emulate what the script will do on the server.

2) Install a server on your machine and run it locally.  That's how I
test my scripts.

Hank
--

Hank LeMieux
{*filter*} Web Design/JavaScript/CGI
Santa Fe, NM, USA
(505) 986-8166
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

You may want to check out our perl pages-
URL=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Quote:
>Mark,

>You wrote,
>> I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
>> locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
>> this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
>> script nothing happened.  

>Well, here are two options:

>1)Use Netscape's File|Open command to directly open the script.  When
>netscape says it doesn't know what to do with the file, tell it to open
>it with the script interpreter (ie: if you're using perl, tell it to use
>perl.exe as the helper.) All this will do is have Netscape open the perl
>command window and run the script every time you open a .pl file. This
>won't emulate what the script will do on the server.

>2) Install a server on your machine and run it locally.  That's how I
>test my scripts.

>Hank
>--

>Hank LeMieux
>{*filter*} Web Design/JavaScript/CGI
>Santa Fe, NM, USA
>(505) 986-8166
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Hans Schrader-Eureka's SySop:



Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95


says...
[snip...]

Quote:
>I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
>locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
>this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
>script nothing happened.  

I do this all the time on my machine. What you need is to run an HTTP server on
your local Win95 machine. I use OmniHTTPd, a freeware server that supports SSI,
standard cgi, and win-cgi. It's available from

       http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~glau/httpd/

I've been running it for a month or so, mostly with the win-cgi, but I have
also run a few perl5 for win32 scripts through just for fun.

You can easily find other free- and commercial-ware through the TUCOWS software
archive: http://www.tucows.com/

HTH,

Paul Delys



Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

Quote:

} I am setting up a website and I want to use some scripts.  I want to
} test them to make sure they work befor sending them to the ISP.  I
} downloaded Perl for Windows 95/NT.  I can see if a script compiles and
} what its output is in a dos box by typing C:\>perl myscript.pl.  
}
} I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
} locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
} this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
} script nothing happened.

Well, depending on how complicated your script is, I check that stuff the
simple way: do "perl myscript.pl >myscript.html" and then just give
Netscape the Location "C:\mydir\myscript.html"

  /Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell                     Fantasy Farm Fibers

    -->  Too many people, too few sheep  <--          



Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 15:51:00 -0700, Mark Perry

Quote:

>I am setting up a website and I want to use some scripts.  I want to
>test them to make sure they work befor sending them to the ISP.  I
>downloaded Perl for Windows 95/NT.  I can see if a script compiles and
>what its output is in a dos box by typing C:\>perl myscript.pl.  

>I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
>locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
>this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
>script nothing happened.  

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks.

I do exactly the same stuff. I downloaded/instaled Microsoft's
Personal Web server and voila.... Now my partable acts just like the
comercial web server that I am designing for.
Whats more... this is free.


Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

The subject is whether you can test your perl/CGI scripts by setting up
a local server on Win95.

Mostly you can, and I do.  However, there is one key catch.  I'm not
familiar with the technicals, but apparently Win95 is unable to open a
new port from your local server when your browser executes a CGI script
that, for instance, sends email via BLAT.  So, for example, I have a
perl script that uses BLAT to email the results of a form submission.
You can get this script to work from the command line, BLAT included.
But if you go into your browser and access an HTML page on your local
server, and that page calls the cgi script, BLAT will fail to open a
port to send the mail.

So keep this in mind.  It will save you hours of debugfrustration.

Hank
--

Hank LeMieux
{*filter*} Web Design/JavaScript/CGI
Santa Fe, NM, USA
(505) 986-8166
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

Follow the instructions on these perl page- I have exactly the same setup
and all works just fine!
URL="http://hjs.geol.uib.no/Perl/index3.htm"

Quote:

>} I am setting up a website and I want to use some scripts.  I want to
>} test them to make sure they work befor sending them to the ISP.  I
>} downloaded Perl for Windows 95/NT.  I can see if a script compiles and
>} what its output is in a dos box by typing C:\>perl myscript.pl.  
>}
>} I would like to also see how it works by loading the page into Netscape
>} locally and then running the script (like it would on a server).  Is
>} this possible.  When I tried clicking on the button that calls the
>} script nothing happened.

>Well, depending on how complicated your script is, I check that stuff the
>simple way: do "perl myscript.pl >myscript.html" and then just give
>Netscape the Location "C:\mydir\myscript.html"

>  /Bernie\
>--
>Bernie Cosell                     Fantasy Farm Fibers

>    -->  Too many people, too few sheep  <--          

Hans Schrader-Eureka's SySop:



Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

Maybe I misunderstood- BUT I can do this. You can have a look yourself at
this URL=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; look for the
BLAT_BLAH_BLAH entry!

Quote:
>The subject is whether you can test your perl/CGI scripts by setting up
>a local server on Win95.

>Mostly you can, and I do.  However, there is one key catch.  I'm not
>familiar with the technicals, but apparently Win95 is unable to open a
>new port from your local server when your browser executes a CGI script
>that, for instance, sends email via BLAT.  So, for example, I have a
>perl script that uses BLAT to email the results of a form submission.
>You can get this script to work from the command line, BLAT included.
>But if you go into your browser and access an HTML page on your local
>server, and that page calls the cgi script, BLAT will fail to open a
>port to send the mail.

>So keep this in mind.  It will save you hours of debugfrustration.

>Hank
>--

>Hank LeMieux
>{*filter*} Web Design/JavaScript/CGI
>Santa Fe, NM, USA
>(505) 986-8166
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Hans Schrader-Eureka's SySop:



Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Perl on Windows 95

Quote:

>>} I am setting up a website and I want to use some scripts.  I want to
>>} test them to make sure they work befor sending them to the ISP.  I
>>} downloaded Perl for Windows 95/NT.  I can see if a script compiles and
>>} what its output is in a dos box by typing C:\>perl myscript.pl.  

If you're using CGI.pm (and if you're not, you should be) you can 1) specify
the name/value pairs on th command line, or 2) read them in from a file.  Then
just pipe the output of the script to foo.html.  If you're lazy, use
open(STDOUT,"foo.html");

Chris Russo



Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 36 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Installing Perl on Windows 95 or Windows 98

2. Big Perl and Windows 95 problem opening network files

3. Big problem with perl and Windows [95]

4. perl for windows 95

5. PERL for windows 95/NT

6. Perl para windows 95

7. perl on windows 95

8. Perl for Windows 95

9. How to run perl in Windows 95?

10. Perl on Windows 95 backtick problem

11. Perl for Windows 95

12. Problem running system commands from Win32 perl under Windows 95

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software