perl to access MS Access database
Author Message
 perl to access MS Access database

Hi.

I'm a newbie.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use perl to do access a MS Access
database?

And if so, can somebody give me the URL to download the nece3ssary things to
make it happen?

thanks!

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:54:59 GMT
 perl to access MS Access database

Quote:

> Hi.

> I'm a newbie.

> Does anyone know if it is possible to use perl to do access a MS Access
> database?

> And if so, can somebody give me the URL to download the nece3ssary things to
> make it happen?

> thanks!

First thing you want to do is download two modules DBI and DBD::ODBC,
that is if you are accessing an Access database from the same or
another "Windows" machine.

Then I would recommend signing up to the fine mailing list dbi-users.
You can get any matter resolved there within a few minutes on an
average.

with information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe.

Ilya

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:59:31 GMT
 perl to access MS Access database
thanks! I try that.

I find this board to be one of the most helpful ones out there.  :)

Quote:
> > Hi.

> > I'm a newbie.

> > Does anyone know if it is possible to use perl to do access a MS Access
> > database?

> > And if so, can somebody give me the URL to download the nece3ssary
things to
> > make it happen?

> > thanks!

> First thing you want to do is download two modules DBI and DBD::ODBC,
> that is if you are accessing an Access database from the same or
> another "Windows" machine.

> Then I would recommend signing up to the fine mailing list dbi-users.
> You can get any matter resolved there within a few minutes on an
> average.

> with information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe.

> Ilya

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:03:09 GMT
 perl to access MS Access database
Dear Richard,

There is also a way to connect to an Access database in Perl using
ADO. This can be useful if you need a so-called DSN-less connection -
without ODBC setting. If you are familiar with ADO, it will also be
easier to get your code working. Tell me, if you want to know more.
From my own experience, however I would say that DBI is more stable.
DBI is also a very common interface and it is worth learning it. So
you can go on and try DBI::ODBC.

Kind regards,
Dobedani

Quote:

> thanks! I try that.

> I find this board to be one of the most helpful ones out there.  :)

> > > Hi.

> > > I'm a newbie.

> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to use perl to do access a MS Access
> > > database?

> > > And if so, can somebody give me the URL to download the nece3ssary
>  things to
> > > make it happen?

> > > thanks!

> > First thing you want to do is download two modules DBI and DBD::ODBC,
> > that is if you are accessing an Access database from the same or
> > another "Windows" machine.

> > Then I would recommend signing up to the fine mailing list dbi-users.
> > You can get any matter resolved there within a few minutes on an
> > average.

> > with information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe.

> > Ilya

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:14:33 GMT
 perl to access MS Access database

Quote:
> Dear Richard,

> There is also a way to connect to an Access database in Perl using
> ADO. This can be useful if you need a so-called DSN-less connection -
> without ODBC setting. If you are familiar with ADO, it will also be
> easier to get your code working. Tell me, if you want to know more.
> From my own experience, however I would say that DBI is more stable.
> DBI is also a very common interface and it is worth learning it. So
> you can go on and try DBI::ODBC.

A way of using Access DB without ODBC ???. If this means you could access
MSACCESS db's on Linux then I would be interested to know more, since it's
the only reason I'm running those scripts on windoze atm.

Thanks

ANGELSTORM

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:29:05 GMT
 perl to access MS Access database

Quote:

> Dear Richard,

> There is also a way to connect to an Access database in Perl using
> ADO. This can be useful if you need a so-called DSN-less connection -
> without ODBC setting. If you are familiar with ADO, it will also be
> easier to get your code working. Tell me, if you want to know more.
> From my own experience, however I would say that DBI is more stable.
> DBI is also a very common interface and it is worth learning it. So
> you can go on and try DBI::ODBC.

Where can I find documentation on DBI::ODBC? I could not find any in the Perl books or at the DBI site.

TIA

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:04:31 GMT
 perl to access MS Access database

Quote:

> > Dear Richard,

> > There is also a way to connect to an Access database in Perl using
> > ADO. This can be useful if you need a so-called DSN-less connection -
> > without ODBC setting. If you are familiar with ADO, it will also be
> > easier to get your code working. Tell me, if you want to know more.
> > From my own experience, however I would say that DBI is more stable.
> > DBI is also a very common interface and it is worth learning it. So
> > you can go on and try DBI::ODBC.

> A way of using Access DB without ODBC ???. If this means you could access
> MSACCESS db's on Linux then I would be interested to know more, since it's
> the only reason I'm running those scripts on windoze atm.

> Thanks

> ANGELSTORM

Angel,

what Dobedani was talking about was ADO, which is a collection of COM
interfaces for database access. this won't help you with linux,
because COM is probably more microsoft specific than ODBC :) (although
in theory, it could be implemented on *nux... if this is in the works,
someone please let me know!!)

however, i don't do much datase programming with perl, so i would not
be surprised at all if there was a way to access an access database
from linux. keep up the search.

to the origional poster:
if you will be doing most of your programming on an ms platform, it
might not hurt to learn how to access database with ADO. not because
ADO is better than ODBC (i have no idea about that)... but because you
would learn to script COM objects, and that is where it's at on
microsoft platforms. if you are interested in toying with it, look
into the "Win32::Ole" module (i think that's what it's called)... it's
part of the activestate distro (i.e. if you have activstate perl, you
already have it)...

have fun!
ed

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:01:58 GMT

1. Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access

2. Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access

3. Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access

4. Accessing MS-Access database with Perl

5. Accessing MS Access Database from Perl (Solaris)

6. Perl to access a MS Access database

7. MS Access database access from Perl for Win32

8. Accessing MS Access Database from Unix

9. Accessing a MS Access Database

10. Accessing MS-Access File from Perl

11. How to access MS Access using perl/cgi/unix

12. Using Perl to access a MS Access DB from Web