Working with two streams at once: ack pth!
Author Message
 Working with two streams at once: ack pth!

Okay, here's the scoop: I'm working on a multi-user BBS type of project,
which allows the user to telnet in, and do lots of neat stuff
(eventually). I would like to make the multi-user part more interesting
by allowing users to send messages to each other, and maybe even have a
CB/IRC type mode where they could join SIG-Channels or something...

Anyway, to do this, I need to have two streams, one to handle all the
users I/O, and another to handle incomming messages.

My original plan was to open a FIFO, and then setup ioctl to send a
SIGIO/SIGPOLL when there was some information on the FIFO... Then I could
have a subroutine print the messages and then leave the user where she
was before.

Well, problem one, it seems that an open() to a FIFO blocks until someone
picks up the other end, which won't do, because I said so. =)

Problem two, I can't find the correct way to set the FIFO to send the
SIGIO... (This is on a SPARC running SunOS 4.1.3_U1)

If it turns out that there is nothing I can do about the FIFO blocking,
is it possible to create a socket-file (like Term does), or a dgram
socket that would send a SIGIO?

If there is any interest, I'll post a summary of the replies, for all to
read.

(insert 'sortof' right after Perl Programmer in my sig... <grin>)
--

|o| Programmer, Owner of a Sun SPARCstation and an HP48G. PYLON Information |o|
|o| Network: "Internet for the rest of us." telnet earth.pylon.com, or dial |o|

Wed, 14 May 1997 12:49:15 GMT

1. TBtr Demos

2. Delphi & BDE & AS/400

3. Access Ack Ack