Abbreviation support for newgetopt.pl
Author Message
 Abbreviation support for newgetopt.pl

I need to handle "long" options, but need to allow for the option
names to be abbreviated (preferably to the level of minimum
uniqueness).

I can (and if necessary, will :-)) hack newgetopt.pl to brute force
this, but before I do, does anyone have an option routine that already
does this?  Failing that, does anyone have suggestions on how to do
this "nicely"?  (My level of Perl expertise limits me to the brute
force approach.)

If I need to do it myself, is there a better option parser than
newgetopt to start from?  (I've looked at a couple of archives, but
haven't found anything (so far) that is obviously better.)

Thanx!

ted
--

    Telematics Intl., Inc.   Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Tue, 25 Jun 1996 03:53:01 GMT
 Abbreviation support for newgetopt.pl

Quote:

>I need to handle "long" options, but need to allow for the option
>names to be abbreviated (preferably to the level of minimum
>uniqueness).

>I can (and if necessary, will :-)) hack newgetopt.pl to brute force
>this, but before I do, does anyone have an option routine that already
>does this?  Failing that, does anyone have suggestions on how to do
>this "nicely"?  (My level of Perl expertise limits me to the brute
>force approach.)

>If I need to do it myself, is there a better option parser than
>newgetopt to start from?  (I've looked at a couple of archives, but
>haven't found anything (so far) that is obviously better.)

>Thanx!

>ted

Try evaluate_parameters, available via anonymous FTP from ftp.Lehigh.EDU, in
dir pub/evap/evap-2.x.  Get either the shar files or the compressed tar file.
evap allows for long parameter names and an alias, performs type-checking on
parameter values and provides for threee levels of online command and
parameter help.  Parameter values are returned the `old' way in scalar/list

table %options.

A nifty Perl program is also provided that creates an X11 Tcl/Tk GUI wrapper
with all the needed windows, widgets, scrollbars, etcetera for your Perl
application.

Take care,

Steve

Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:30:09 GMT

1. abbrev.pl + newgetopt.pl = NEAT!

2. Changes to NGetOpt in newgetopt.pl

3. Source: newgetopt.pl version 1.14

4. any additional docs for newgetopt.pl?

5. newgetopt.pl

6. Newgetopt.pl, version 1.13.

7. Official patch to newgetopt.pl 1.9

8. bug in newgetopt.pl

9. newgetopt.pl by Johan Vromans version 1.13

10. newgetopt.pl

11. newgetopt.pl dumps core

12. a2ps.pl supporting latin-1