Perl 5.001 + Tk: broken demo, broken evaluation?
Author Message
 Perl 5.001 + Tk: broken demo, broken evaluation?

After building 5.001, and the newer version of the Tk extension, I ran the
demo scripts below Tk/demos in the distribution area. All seemed to work fine,
save for certain exceptions: for one thing, the rolodex demo has 4 occurances
of a variable called "$-help", which didn't gel with the interpreter. Changing
all occurances to "$_help" worked fine.

Most importantly, was a problem in ixset. When run, I get:

unknown option "ORIENTATION" at /usr/local/lib/perl5/Tk/Widget.pm line 93.
 at ixset line 179

ixset seems to really want to use the Tk English module. But the first few
lines read:

require 5.000;
use English;
use Tk;

Thusly, the English module used is the standard Tk one. So I changed that to
read:

require 5.000;
use Tk;
use Tk::English;

and the error still occurs. Running in debug mode, I can:

  DB<3> p ORIENTATION
-orient

just fine. The running interpreter correctly executes ORIENATION as a sub,
and returns "-orient". But when it occurs in a class method invocation, at
line 179 (a call to the Scale method of object $bell, which was created from
class Frame via the top-level $top), when eventually evaluated, ORIENTATION
is not recognized as a sub and is intepreted as a string. I do not know if this
is a problem with the Tk package or with Perl 5.001.

Randy
--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)607-5268

I don't suffer from insanity.  I enjoy every minute of it.

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 01:57:19 GMT
 Perl 5.001 + Tk: broken demo, broken evaluation?

Quote:

>After building 5.001, and the newer version of the Tk extension, I ran the
>demo scripts below Tk/demos in the distribution area. All seemed to work fine,
>save for certain exceptions: for one thing, the rolodex demo has 4 occurances
>of a variable called "$-help", which didn't gel with the interpreter. Changing
>all occurances to "$_help" worked fine.

OK..... $help is the intended name.. (-:

Quote:

>Most importantly, was a problem in ixset. When run, I get:

>unknown option "ORIENTATION" at /usr/local/lib/perl5/Tk/Widget.pm line 93.
> at ixset line 179

>ixset seems to really want to use the Tk English module. But the first few
>lines read:

>require 5.000;
>use English;
>use Tk;

Short form of the long story:  the first beta release of the new TkPerl was
coincident with the release of Perl 5.001, at which time Tk::English "broke",
thus, a few Tk::English constructs were missed in the conversion to the new
format.  (BTW, use -orient.)

A patch for all your observed bugs has been mailed to Nick, the TkPerl author.

Tk::English was intended to provide a shorthand for constructs like:

        $widget->configure('-text' => 'blah blah');

Now, you should simply say:

        $widget->configure(-text => 'blah blah');

and forget the Tk::English format:

        $widget->configure(TEXT => 'blah blah');

Perl 5.002 should be out soon, and thus the next beta TkPerl.... wait a
week or so.

Steve
--

Lehigh University Computing Center, USA

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 06:21:24 GMT

1. is grep broken in 5.001?

2. Line Breaks and Breaking Necks

3. regex break out of while loop broken?

4. Perl/Tk 800.021 LabFrame broken?

5. Tk breaks strict module.

6. Broken fileevent in Tk 800.01x?

7. Multiple bindings & Tk->break problems

8. Does Tk->break work?

9. Tk->break

10. Tk's Makefile.PL utilities broken?

11. ->waitVariable broken in Tk 800.022?