Newbie Help/Advice/Direction
Author Message
 Newbie Help/Advice/Direction

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to Perl. No prior programming experience. I
have some of the basics down, but I am looking for some advice/help and/or
even just some guidance in the right direction, with a program I need to
write.

Basically in a nutshell here's what needs to be done:
The program will retrieve data from remote NT boxes, that are all on the
same network on dedicated circuits. All the retrieval will be done from a
local NT box.
Here's the process that will take place:
1. The local NT box will connect to the remote NT box.
2. It will zip close to 500MB of files, from a specific dir.
3. It will bring those files back to a specific dir. on the local box.
4. Unzip those files in this dir.
5. Then move on and repeat the process on a different box.
6. Also if there is any interruption in file transfer, then the transfer
needs to pick back up automatically, exactly where it stopped.
7. All of this needs to be automated, to run on it's own, w/o anybody
present to run it. It will be the same day and time every week.

Questions;
How would I do this using Perl on a Windows NT-NT network?
Can all of this be automated?
Any ideas? Suggestions? Guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:12:26 GMT
 Newbie Help/Advice/Direction
Switch 2 a Linux Box Running Samba,

Make a Shell script that Backups the Directorys on Samba using the "Tar
feature"

-"vi /usr/local/scripts/backup/backup.list"
NOTE: Include the directories u want backed up
####backup.list#####
/home/httpd/
/etc/
/boot/
/root/
/usr/local/etc/
####EO backup.list#####

-"vi /usr/local/scripts/backup/backup.exclude"
NOTE: Include the directories u DON'T want backed up
####backup.exclude#####
/home/httpd/books/
/home/storage/
####EO backup.exclude#####

LOCBACKUPFILE = /home/backup/backup.tar
"tar -v -f $LOCBACKUPFILE -PT backup.list -c -X backup.exclude" #backup tar
command
"gzip -f -3 $LOCBACKUPFILE" #gzip compress command

THIS SOLVED A SH** LOAD OF PROB'S
PLUS I JUST BURNED IT ONTO A CD EVERYNITE

NOTE: IF I EVER REMEMBER 2 PUT THE CD IN THE DRIVE :-)

Enjoy,
Joe

Quote:
> Hello everyone. I am pretty new to Perl. No prior programming experience.
> have some of the basics down, but I am looking for some advice/help and/or
> even just some guidance in the right direction, with a program I need to
> write.

> Basically in a nutshell here's what needs to be done:
> The program will retrieve data from remote NT boxes, that are all on the
> same network on dedicated circuits. All the retrieval will be done from a
> local NT box.
> Here's the process that will take place:
> 1. The local NT box will connect to the remote NT box.
> 2. It will zip close to 500MB of files, from a specific dir.
> 3. It will bring those files back to a specific dir. on the local box.
> 4. Unzip those files in this dir.
> 5. Then move on and repeat the process on a different box.
> 6. Also if there is any interruption in file transfer, then the transfer
> needs to pick back up automatically, exactly where it stopped.
> 7. All of this needs to be automated, to run on it's own, w/o anybody
> present to run it. It will be the same day and time every week.

> Questions;
> How would I do this using Perl on a Windows NT-NT network?
> Can all of this be automated?
> Any ideas? Suggestions? Guidance?

> Thanks in advance!

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:52:16 GMT
 Newbie Help/Advice/Direction

Quote:
> Hello everyone. I am pretty new to Perl. No prior programming
> experience. I have some of the basics down, but I am looking for some
> advice/help and/or even just some guidance in the right direction, with
> a program I need to write.

> Basically in a nutshell here's what needs to be done:
> The program will retrieve data from remote NT boxes, that are all on
> the same network on dedicated circuits. All the retrieval will be done
> from a local NT box.
> Here's the process that will take place:
> 1. The local NT box will connect to the remote NT box.
> 2. It will zip close to 500MB of files, from a specific dir.
> 3. It will bring those files back to a specific dir. on the local box.
> 4. Unzip those files in this dir.
> 5. Then move on and repeat the process on a different box.
> 6. Also if there is any interruption in file transfer, then the
> transfer needs to pick back up automatically, exactly where it stopped.
> 7. All of this needs to be automated, to run on it's own, w/o anybody
> present to run it. It will be the same day and time every week.

> Questions;
> How would I do this using Perl on a Windows NT-NT network?
> Can all of this be automated?
> Any ideas? Suggestions? Guidance?

> Thanks in advance!

You want to do this in perl?  Why not use native NT code to do it???

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:54:42 GMT
 Newbie Help/Advice/Direction
You mean like NT scripting?

Wouldn't it run much better and more smoothly in Perl?

Quote:

> > Hello everyone. I am pretty new to Perl. No prior programming
> > experience. I have some of the basics down, but I am looking for some
> > advice/help and/or even just some guidance in the right direction, with
> > a program I need to write.

> > Basically in a nutshell here's what needs to be done:
> > The program will retrieve data from remote NT boxes, that are all on
> > the same network on dedicated circuits. All the retrieval will be done
> > from a local NT box.
> > Here's the process that will take place:
> > 1. The local NT box will connect to the remote NT box.
> > 2. It will zip close to 500MB of files, from a specific dir.
> > 3. It will bring those files back to a specific dir. on the local box.
> > 4. Unzip those files in this dir.
> > 5. Then move on and repeat the process on a different box.
> > 6. Also if there is any interruption in file transfer, then the
> > transfer needs to pick back up automatically, exactly where it stopped.
> > 7. All of this needs to be automated, to run on it's own, w/o anybody
> > present to run it. It will be the same day and time every week.

> > Questions;
> > How would I do this using Perl on a Windows NT-NT network?
> > Can all of this be automated?
> > Any ideas? Suggestions? Guidance?

> > Thanks in advance!

> You want to do this in perl?  Why not use native NT code to do it???

http://www.binaries.net

Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:46:46 GMT

1. Newbie help - Need advice

2. Help! Newbie needs some advice

3. Newbie looking for direction

4. Newbie lost and needs direction

5. newbie needs direction getting started with Perl

6. Expect module - help or directions

7. Please help me with some direction

8. Newbie needs some advice please????

9. Newbie Needs Good Advice

10. Advice for relative newbie on perl compiler...

11. Advice REQ for newbie

12. Newbie needs advice!!