Piping in stderr when creating a pipe with the open call
Author Message
 Piping in stderr when creating a pipe with the open call

I'm creating a pipe from a proccess in the standard way:

        open( PIPE, "whatever filename |" );

This works fine.  However, the proccess somtimes procudess warning messages
on stderr, and I want to be able to capture that too.  I could do this for
a while by doing:

        open( PIPE, "whatever filename |&" );

Unfortunatly, a few days ago, it stopped working.  I think I unintentionaly
altered the perl script with some unintentional emacs commands, but whatever
happened left the rest of the script untouched.  I would greatly apreciate
any advice.  Thanks in advance.
--
/-----------------------------------------------------------\
|Matthew Cline        | The laws of thermodynamics:         |

|                     | 3) You can't stop playing the game. |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

Mon, 08 Jan 1996 08:22:01 GMT

1. open a piped command including stderr

2. "open" pipe with stderr

3. Changing STDERR for an open pipe statement (How ?)

4. Directing stderr when opening a pipe?

5. signal handler is not called while piped open is active

6. PERLFUNC: open - open a file, pipe, or descriptor

7. PERLFUNC: open - open a file, pipe, or descriptor

8. Perl's open() pukes when trying to open a read-type pipe

9. Distinguishing stdout and stderr on a pipe

10. Directing stderr and stdout to a pipe

11. pipes and STDERR

12. reading stdout/stderr using pipes