Tracing true paths (across mounts & links)
Author Message
 Tracing true paths (across mounts & links)

I'm writing a program that will be the user's front end for automated restores
on our system. Now, users will need to specify what files they would like
restored, and many users are unaware of links or mounts, so what I'd like
to do is go through each file and trace the path to get to the *real* path,
i.e., the path does not contain any links and if it is a mount, specifies
that it is a mount in the form "host:path" (I realize I can't get the entire
path on a remote host if there are links there - that's okay).

I've written something to do this, but to put it mildly, I'm really not happy
with it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could do this.

--
 Joshua A. Laff, CRL Head Operator, University of Illinois    (217) 333-7408

Disclaimer: If I were speaking for the UofI, I wouldn't be paying tuition.

Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:21:56 GMT

1. in place editing across NFS mount

2. accessing files across UNC paths

3. ANNOUNCE: Debug::Trace 0.04 -- tracing subroutine calls

4. Tracing memory usage & related questions

5. Numeric & inconsistent across platforms

6. PERL counter & link CGI

7. Help, file tests & PATH env var

8. Webpage & Link counter - help

9. Shared libraries - how to link & load

10. system() & ENV{PATH} Problem

11. Outputting Images & Links in HTML

12. ServerRoot & DocumentRoot paths