Perl5.001e Build Question
Author Message
 Perl5.001e Build Question

    I am having trouble building a custom version of Perl5.001e.
    I am trying to build a version of Perl that uses the "cryptswitch"
    functionality mentioned briefly in the FAQ. I chose to have the
    decoding function inside the lexer, so that it decodes each line as
    it is read. (Versus redirecting the input file pointer from a decoding
    process) I have built the .o files successfully but the make fails
    with a "** Termination Code 139" after miniperl is built but before
    Perl is built.

    First of all, has anyone else built a decoding version of Perl
    succesfully? If so did you have this problem?

    If not, I am asking for suggestions. Here is what I think is happening
    but I am not sure...

    The files affected are toke.c and perl.c. Each of these .o files is
    included in the libperl.a library that the makefile builds. The
    perl and miniperl executables are dependant on the library. I think
    what is happening is that miniperl is being built with the decoding
    version of yylex(). I think that miniperl is somehow being used to
    try and finish the main Perl build?? (Here is where I don't know)
    In that case miniperl tries to read a script that it (now) thinks
    is encoded, which it isn't, and fails after trying to parse an
    input line of apparent Ka Ka. (Running the decode function on good
    input will produce Ka Ka ;-)

    I guess I want to now if miniperl *is* used, somehow, to finish the main
    Perl build, and if the above is really what is happening.

    As far as fixing the problem I could generate another, independant
    dependancy, that builds a seperate libperl.a (libperldcd.a??), and
    then builds a seperately named executable for Perl. Or I could make the
    decoding a command line option, so by default the executable would not
    assume the source was encoded.... hmmm....

    Anyway, if you got this far, and you think I havn't answered my own
    question, suggestions are appreciated.

                                                        digger or
                                                        Sean McGranaghan

Sun, 23 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl5.001e Build Question
:     I am having trouble building a custom version of Perl5.001e.
:     I am trying to build a version of Perl that uses the "cryptswitch"
:     functionality mentioned briefly in the FAQ. I chose to have the
:     decoding function inside the lexer, so that it decodes each line as
:     it is read. (Versus redirecting the input file pointer from a decoding
:     process) I have built the .o files successfully but the make fails
:     with a "** Termination Code 139" after miniperl is built but before
:     Perl is built.

:     First of all, has anyone else built a decoding version of Perl
:     succesfully? If so did you have this problem?

Yes. No.

:     If not, I am asking for suggestions.

First of all, get 5.001l - it fixes a few problems with the source
filtering mechanism (cryptswitch is the old name).

WRT to your compilation problems, it sounds like you are hacking
directly with either toke.c or perl.c. Is that correct?

If so, then that is not necessary. A source filter is written entirely
as a Perl external module. Unfortunately there is still a portability
issue to be resolved with the mechanism, so it wouldn't be appropriate
to post anything to c.l.p just yet. If you want to more information
could I suggest that you either e-mail me directly or take the
discussion to perl5-porters.

As the FAQ says this stuff isn't particularly well-documented. Hopefully
when I get some free time I'll put some together.

Paul

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl5.001e Build Question

Quote:

>     I am having trouble building a custom version of Perl5.001e.
>     I am trying to build a version of Perl that uses the "cryptswitch"
>     functionality mentioned briefly in the FAQ.

cryptswitch is not well supported in Perl5. A new mechanism call filters
has been implemented and may appear in Perl5.002. Filters offer several
advantages over the old cryptswitch mechanism. I'd suggest waiting.

Quote:
>                                                    digger or
>                                                    Sean McGranaghan

Tim.

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Building perl5.001e on SunOS

2. perl5.001e core dump

3. Perl5.001e--Failed make test

4. Memory leaking in perl5.001e and IO

5. many install problems - perl5.001e/aix 3.2.5

6. can't find perl5.001e

7. some perl5.001e bugs?

8. perl5.001e on Linux1.2.8 tests fail

9. BUG RPT; Perl5.001e, Segmentation fault (core dumped)

10. Problems with AnyDBM test w/perl5.001e, SunOS4.1.4

11. Help : Dynamic link of Tk-b3 under perl5.001e

12. Help compiling perl5.001e on DEC 5000/Ultrix4.3