Point me in the right direction
Author Message
 Point me in the right direction

I have recently installed Apache and PHP4/MySQL on my Win95 PC to use it
as a development platform.  Now I want to install Perl for the same
reason.  I found a great step-by-step for installing PHP/mySQL.  Is
there such a document/tutorial out there for installing Perl?

TIA,
Zach

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:00:26 GMT
 Point me in the right direction

Quote:
> I have recently installed Apache and PHP4/MySQL on my Win95 PC to use it
> as a development platform.  Now I want to install Perl for the same
> reason.  I found a great step-by-step for installing PHP/mySQL.  Is
> there such a document/tutorial out there for installing Perl?

> TIA,
> Zach

http://perl.apache.org/

mod_perl can be very tricky.  You really have to watch your perl code.
Read these pages:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/

When done reading, read them again.

--

Sun/Solaris consulting at:
http://www.jtwis.com

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:47:13 GMT
 Point me in the right direction

Quote:

> > I have recently installed Apache and PHP4/MySQL on my Win95 PC to use it
> > as a development platform.  Now I want to install Perl for the same
> > reason.  I found a great step-by-step for installing PHP/mySQL.  Is
> > there such a document/tutorial out there for installing Perl?

> > TIA,
> > Zach

> http://perl.apache.org/

> mod_perl can be very tricky.  You really have to watch your perl code.
> Read these pages:
> http://perl.apache.org/guide/

> When done reading, read them again.

> --

> Sun/Solaris consulting at:
> http://www.jtwis.com

I did read that. <shudder>  Isn't there a way to install Perl as a cgi
module instead of an apache module?

Zach

Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:47:04 GMT
 Point me in the right direction

Quote:

> > mod_perl can be very tricky.  You really have to watch your perl code.
> > Read these pages:
> > http://perl.apache.org/guide/

> > When done reading, read them again.

> I did read that. <shudder>  Isn't there a way to install Perl as a cgi
> module instead of an apache module?

Yes.  Just use the cgi-handler directive instead of the perl-handler
directive.  But then you sacrifice the advantages of mod_perl.  Most
good Perl code with -w and 'use strict' won't be a problem being ported
to mod_perl.  Many of the intricacies are due to the fact that the
script is actually being run _within_ the Apache process (or its
children).  Just follow the rules and there's no problem. Well, almost. =)

--

640K ought to be enough for anybody.
        -- Bill Gates (In 1981)

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:36:44 GMT

1. point me in the right direction

2. Please Point me in the right direction

3. Can anyone point me in the right direction - Please?

4. Can anyone point me in the right direction - Please?

5. Email: No Server, please point me in the right direction...

6. I am looking to Learn Perl....can anyone point me in the right direction?

7. Looking for the right direction

8. A push in the right direction - Perl :c)

9. A push in the right direction - Perl :c)

10. Been Through Every FAQ - Point Me to the RIGHT One PLEASE

11. The right tool for the right job :-)

12. regular expression to describe 16 degrees of wind direction