installing perl on SCO ODT
Author Message
 installing perl on SCO ODT

I will be installing perl on a SCO ODT (development) system this week and would
appreciate any experiences that would make the install smoother.

Atlanta, GA             (404) 377-4840          NeXTmail available

Fri, 01 Apr 1994 09:16:14 GMT
 installing perl on SCO ODT

+---------------
| I will be installing perl on a SCO ODT (development) system this week and would
| appreciate any experiences that would make the install smoother.
+---------------

Remove -lx from the list of libraries searched by Configure:  it has its own
directory routines, which *don't* *work*.  (Actually, they work only if you
execute the program on a Xenix system.  Or so I hear.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery                    KF8NH: DC to LIGHT!  [44.70.4.88]

Sat, 02 Apr 1994 06:25:38 GMT
 installing perl on SCO ODT
Brandon S. Allbery:

Quote:
> Remove -lx from the list of libraries searched by Configure:  it has its own
> directory routines, which *don't* *work*.  (Actually, they work only if you
> execute the program on a Xenix system.  Or so I hear.)

Not quite.  The directory routines in -lx are the of the open(".", O_RDONLY)
variety, so they will work on all "normal" S5 filesystems (but not NFS).

The real problem is that the direct structure looks completely different
from the dirent one, so if you #include <dirent.h>; cc ...  -lx, it
won't work on *any* system, XENIX or otherwise.  (On older XENIXes, you
have to do #include <sys/ndir.h>, cc ... -lx, current ones have
#include <dirent.h> *as well*, but the relevant routines are in -ldir
you you can stick them earlier than -lx in your link command.  It's
*EXTREMELY* confusing).

If you have directory routines in -lx, the best thing to do is to remove
them, because the other stuff in there can be convenient for porting
programs from XENIX.  My XENIX systems have a #error on line 1 of
sys/ndir.h and no directory routines in -lx.
--

Sun, 03 Apr 1994 03:44:59 GMT

1. Help needed installing perl 4.036 on SCO/ODT (3.2.4)

2. Compiling Perl on SCO ODT 3.0

3. perl 4.0 PL 19 dumps core on SCO ODT 1.1 (UNIX 3.2.2)

4. Configure fails on SCO ODT 1.1.0 [ perl 4.010 ]

5. Compiling perl-5.003 on a SCO 3.2 ODT 5 machine

6. Perl binary for SCO ODT V3.2

7. Problem compiling perl and oraperl on SCO ODT 5.0

8. SCO ODT problems (argh)

9. Problems with PL19 and SCO ODT 1.1

10. 4.019 readdir.t #3 fails on SCO-ODT

11. Installing perl-4.036 on SCO 3.2v4.2

12. Newbie - HELP(!) installing PERL on SCO OS5