Using .forward file to trigger Perl script
Author Message
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Quote:

>Greetings:

>Where may I find more information on utilizing the ".forward" file
>(specially in Apache 1.2) to trigger the execution of a Perl script?

Err...Apache is a web server. The .forward file, being a part of sendmail,
has nothing at all to do with a web server, unless you're using a mailto:
link to invoke the .forward file.

Anyway...

Quote:
>Goal... incoming email triggers Perl script that handles the email
>based on either the "to", "cc" and "bcc" lines.

You might have a look at procmail, which handles this sort of thing quite
well. You're also free to have a look at my mailbot code, which shows some
of the things one can do in terms of parsing and doing stuff with email
messages. You can get a copy of it from:

        ftp://shell3.ba.best.com/pub/mcravit/mailbot.tar.gz

Hope this helps.

/MC

--
Matthew Cravit, N9VWG               | Experience is what allows you to

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Hi Matthew:

Thank you.

Peter Perchansky,  Computer Consultant & Microsoft FrontPage MVP
PMP Computer Solutions
FrontPage Web Hosting at
http://www.pmpcs.com/services/fpwebhosting.htm
FrontPage Support http://www.pmpcs.com/support/frontpage.htm

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Hi Brian:

Quote:
> man forward tells you all about it. :)

man is only good if you have access to the shell.

Peter Perchansky,  Computer Consultant & Microsoft FrontPage MVP
PMP Computer Solutions
FrontPage Web Hosting at
http://www.pmpcs.com/services/fpwebhosting.htm
FrontPage Support http://www.pmpcs.com/support/frontpage.htm

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Greetings:

Where may I find more information on utilizing the ".forward" file
(specially in Apache 1.2) to trigger the execution of a Perl script?

Goal... incoming email triggers Perl script that handles the email
based on either the "to", "cc" and "bcc" lines.

Thank you for your time.

P.S.  Please email me a copy of your reply.  I do frequent this news
group, but often find > 100 messages when I come back... and sifting
through the messages to find replies can be fun ;-)

Peter Perchansky,  Computer Consultant & Microsoft FrontPage MVP
PMP Computer Solutions
FrontPage Web Hosting at
http://www.pmpcs.com/services/fpwebhosting.htm
FrontPage Support http://www.pmpcs.com/support/frontpage.htm

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Quote:

> Where may I find more information on utilizing the ".forward" file
> (specially in Apache 1.2) to trigger the execution of a Perl script?

man forward tells you all about it. :)

Quote:
> Goal... incoming email triggers Perl script that handles the email
> based on either the "to", "cc" and "bcc" lines.

you could also use something like procmail or Deliver if simply
filtering and sorting the mail is your goal.

good luck :)

--
brian d foy                                 <http://computerdog.com>
#!/usr/bin/perl

$pm=join'',reverse($ny,$pm);open(NY,'>&STDOUT');print NY $pm

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Quote:

>> man forward tells you all about it. :)

>man is only good if you have access to the shell.

well, you could FTP it. :)  i also think that there is a web interface
to the man pages somewhere - yep - Yahoo lists interfaces for several
OSes, although they all appear to be pretty old...

basically it says that you can pipe input to external programs with a
line like:

   "| /export/home/user/script.pl"

the script will receive the input through STDIN.

good luck :)

--

NY.pm - New York Perl M((o|u)ngers|aniacs)*  <URL:http://ny.pm.org/>
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://computerdog.com/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

Followup on my test program...

Well folks, it really does work correctly.  I was running the test

with localtime()...  The problem is that after executing that line,
the de{*filter*} is now outside the scope of my local variables therefore
they are unknown.  I added a print statement after the last line.  Low
and behold the year is 105 as expected.  Question answered.

-Gary

Fri, 14 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using .forward file to trigger Perl script

2. Using .forward file to start a perl script

3. pulling an attached file with perl script in .forward

4. Problem writing temp files from a script called by .forward

5. oracle trigger to call a perl script

6. E-mail piped to PERL script besides using .forward file, would like to use .domains file?

7. Trigger script on receipt of ftp upload

8. Need automatic forwarding perl script

9. Need automatic forwarding perl script

10. NEED HELP: forwarding email to PERL script

11. Mailing from with .forward perl script

12. triggering shell scripts