4.0 beta available
Author Message
 4.0 beta available

A beta version of perl 4.0 is available from jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
(128.149.1.143), in ~ftp/pub/perl.4.0/4.0.beta.tar.Z.

I want a real short beta period, so get your comments to me early next
week, or don't bother.  Please don't copy the beta all over the world...

Sorry, only ftp'ers allowed.

Larry

Wed, 04 Aug 1993 07:24:29 GMT
 4.0 beta available
Incidentally, our machines will be down Saturday and maybe Sunday, so don't
be surprised if you can't get through then.

I also just realized I didn't put any of \a \e \x1b \c[ \l \L \u \U \E into
the man page.  But then again, they aren't in the book, either.  :-)

I'm looking for three kinds of testing on this beta:

        1) Does it install reasonably easily?
        2) Does it break any of your existing scripts?
        3) Do the new features (see above, and the ADDENDA section in the
                man page) work the way you think they should.

Also, I haven't had a chance to write any regression tests for the new
features.  If in testing you come up with any, feel free to send them.

If you get the beta working on a particular architecture, you might post
something to that effect to save someone else from duplicating.

Thanks.

Larry

Wed, 04 Aug 1993 08:15:50 GMT
 4.0 beta available

| A beta version of perl 4.0 is available from jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
| (128.149.1.143), in ~ftp/pub/perl.4.0/4.0.beta.tar.Z.
|
| I want a real short beta period, so get your comments to me early next
| week, or don't bother.  Please don't copy the beta all over the world...

I brought it up under OSF/1, and noticed that it wasn't finding
anything in the library.  The problem is if nm's output isn't what
Configure is expecting, it's supposed to go and use ar.  However,
there was a missing ';' so that it never failed and did the ar.

*** Configure.~1~       Fri Feb 15 17:58:28 1991
--- Configure   Fri Feb 22 16:55:09 1991
***************
*** 1680,1686 ****
    $contains '^printf$' libc.list >/dev/null 2>&1; then
      echo done
  elif $sed -n -e 's/^.*|FUNC |GLOB .*|//p' -e 's/^.*|FUNC |WEAK .*|//p' \
!          <libc.tmp >libc.list \
    $contains '^printf$' libc.list >/dev/null 2>&1; then
      echo done
  else
--- 168i,1686 ----
    $contains '^printf$' libc.list >/dev/null 2>&1; then
      echo done
  elif $sed -n -e 's/^.*|FUNC |GLOB .*|//p' -e 's/^.*|FUNC |WEAK .*|//p' \
!          <libc.tmp >libc.list; \
    $contains '^printf$' libc.list >/dev/null 2>&1; then
      echo done
  else

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

Wed, 11 Aug 1993 08:08:43 GMT
 4.0 beta available

We're weird because we run AFS.

The new "installperl" script doesn't work, for two reasons:

   could just tell Configure to install perl in

   want it to be installed in /afs/.ir/share/local/lib/perl, but we
   want perl to look for them in /afs/ir/share/local/lib/perl, because
   that's more efficient.)  I have a script that searches Makefiles
   for commands of the form FOO=/afs/pathname and calls make with
   added arguments "FOO=/afs/.pathname", but that doesn't work for
   installperl.  Could you make $bin, $scriptdir, and $privlib be make
   variables and pass them as arguments to installperl?

2) AFS doesn't use the permission mode bits for files or directories,
   so the -w file test doesn't work reliably.  Thus, the test
      -w $bin
   in installperl fails, even though I can write to

   actually OK.)

Carl Witty

Fri, 13 Aug 1993 00:00:43 GMT
 4.0 beta available
|> We're weird because we run AFS.

So are we.  This message sounds really familiar :-)

The workaround I devised for this is certainly a crock, but it does
work.  (I'm about to plunge into AFS details.  Skip the rest of the
paragraph if you don't care.)  In our root.afs volume, .root.afs is a
read-write mountpoint for the root.afs volume.  Therefore,
/afs/.root.afs/athena is the same as /afs/.athena.  The trick is that
given a machine I can hack on, when it's time to install perl, I can
change the cacheinfo file to mount AFS on /afs.ro, and make /afs a
symlink to /afs.ro/.root.afs.  Then, all installs to
/afs/athena/contrib/perl indirect to the r/w volume, and normal users
get the backup volume once it's been released.

It seems that the ``right'' solution is to have two configure
variables, one for where the binaries/scripts/libraries should be
installed, and one for where they should be read from.  It should be
possible to make the defaults clever enough that they are correct on
most normal systems.

I'd be glad to try to do this, since I have afs, or I can arrange a
guest account here for Larry.

                Marc

Fri, 13 Aug 1993 11:41:37 GMT
 4.0 beta available

Quote:

>It seems that the ``right'' solution is to have two configure
>variables, one for where the binaries/scripts/libraries should be
>installed, and one for where they should be read from.

This would be extremely helpful.  Here, we have to go through a
release cycle--things have to be installed in places like

but appear in places like /usr/contributed/bin/perl.

I just modify the Makefile.

Mon, 23 Aug 1993 08:21:49 GMT

1. Bug in Perl 4.0 (released, not beta, version)

2. Small memory leak in Perl 4.0 Beta

3. perl 4.0 beta

4. 4.0 beta on a Cray

5. 4.0 beta on Apollo

6. using perlscript with new IIS 4.0 beta

7. How to get CGI working in NT 4.0 Beta 2 and Netscape 3.0

8. PerlIS.dll and NT 4.0 beta 2

9. BETA version of MSDOS Perl 5.000 now available

10. Curses extension, beta 1, now available

11. BETA version of MSDOS Perl 5.000 now available

12. Getopt::Long version 2.4 beta 3 available on CPAN