Making signals reliable in Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.x
Author Message
 Making signals reliable in Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.x

[If you've seen this article before (posted from a different account)
 please ignore this one.  I'm fairly certain the other news server
 didn't post it to the rest of the world.]

The bad news is that Perl uses the 'signal()' routine to implement
signals.  This is unreliable under Solaris 2.x for a couple reasons.

The good news is that it can be fixed with a mere four lines in the
source code.

Just add the following line to doarg.c, eval.c, stab.c, and util.c
after the '#include <signal.h>' statement.

        #define signal(x,y) sigset((x),(y))

Recompile everything and your signals will be reliable.

Michael D'Errico

Sun, 17 Dec 1995 11:27:37 GMT
 Making signals reliable in Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.x

Quote:

>Just add the following line to doarg.c, eval.c, stab.c, and util.c
>after the '#include <signal.h>' statement.

>        #define signal(x,y) sigset((x),(y))

>Recompile everything and your signals will be reliable.

Nobody should use the ridiculously disgusting interfaces that constitute
the System V signal routines. Much better to use the Posix
signal functions: sigaction, sigprocmask, etc.
--
                                James Buster

Mon, 18 Dec 1995 12:03:40 GMT
 Making signals reliable in Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.x

Quote:

>>Just add the following line to doarg.c, eval.c, stab.c, and util.c
>>after the '#include <signal.h>' statement.

>>        #define signal(x,y) sigset((x),(y))

>>Recompile everything and your signals will be reliable.
>Nobody should use the ridiculously disgusting interfaces that constitute
>the System V signal routines. Much better to use the Posix
>signal functions: sigaction, sigprocmask, etc.

Well if you want to go thru the Perl source and correct every instance
of the 'signal' function and setup 'sigaction' and 'sigprocmask' calls.....

.....But I have some work to get done.

Mike

Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:28:09 GMT

1. Reliable signals in Perl?

2. Trouble trapping signals in perl 4.036?

3. Reliable Signals ? (No SYSV)

4. perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.3

5. curseperl (perl 4.036) on Solaris 2.3?

6. Has anyone compiled perl 4.036 on solaris 2.8 ?

7. perl 4.036 and Solaris 2.3

8. Perl 4.036 compiles on Solaris; TEST has problems

9. perl 4.036 on solaris 2.3

10. Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.3

11. Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.3 w/ SparcWorks - how-to-do

12. SOLVED!: Sockets under Perl 4.036/Solaris 2.3