SGML to HTML for *green* Perl People
Author Message
 SGML to HTML for *green* Perl People

Friends and neighbors-
        I am totaly new to Perl (started yesterday with the llama, and am
moving on to the camel today). I need to write a script which will produce
HTML from a DTD SGML.  From the postings here, it seems like several others
have done similar things.  Does anyone have tips/pointers/samples which
might help?  Thanks in advance...

Tue, 31 Dec 1996 06:41:26 GMT
 SGML to HTML for *green* Perl People

Quote:
>Friends and neighbors-
>        I am totaly new to Perl (started yesterday with the llama, and am
>moving on to the camel today). I need to write a script which will produce
>HTML from a DTD SGML.  From the postings here, it seems like several others
>have done similar things.  Does anyone have tips/pointers/samples which
>might help?  Thanks in advance...

Run, don't walk, to ftp.ifi.uio.no, /pub/SGML/SGMLS and get the SGMLS SGML
parser.  Included with SGMLS is a template Perl script (sgmls.pl) that makes
it very easy to create SGML-to-HTML (or anything else) programs.  I hacked a
MyDTD-to-HTML transform together in an afternoon and I'm not what you'd call a
Perl expert by any stretch.

SGMLS can also be used to do HTML parsing by finding (or hacking) an HTML DTD
that matches your HTML documents and then using SGMLS to parse your HTML
documents.  It's a lot more effecient than trying to write an SGML parser in
Perl.  SoftQuad's HoTMetaL HTML editor can also help by validating your HTML
and saving it in a reliably-consistent form.

SGMLS is compiled for Unix and DOS and has been compiled for OS/2, although I
don't think anyone supports that port.  The output of SGMLS is a file in a
format designed for easy Perl processing.  On my DOS system, I find that for
documents of any size, the SGMLS processing is about 1/5 the total processing
time (depending on the complexity of the Perl processing I have to do).

ftp.ifi.uio.no is the SGML Archive server and contains a number of resources
for SGML besides SGMLS.

--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>

Passage Systems, Inc., 9971 Quail Blvd., Suite 903, Austin TX 78758 (512)339-1400
465 Fairchild Dr., Suite 201, Mountain View, CA  94043, (415) 390-0911
</Address>

Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:15:19 GMT

1. SGML-SPGrove-0.01: perl module for loading SGML, XML, HTML

2. Announcing: The Perl Institute: Helping people help Perl help people

3. ANNOUNCE: Perl SGML/HTML/Mosaic/Frame MIF tools

4. SGML to HTML Perl Scripts???

5. SGML to HTML using Perl

6. Question for people who know perl&html

7. SGML::parser & SGML::ultil

8. SGML->HTML

9. SGML-X/HTML converter

10. converting CALS (SGML) to formated HTML tables...

11. converting SGML special characters to HTML

12. converting CALS (SGML) to formated HTML tables...