Compiling Perl on SCS UNIX (or not)
Author Message
 Compiling Perl on SCS UNIX (or not)

I tried running Configure and compiling for about six hours yesterday.
It consistantly would compile and not pass the big test.

Anybody out there running SCO and got it to work?  Perhaps I should just
ignore the big test?  I'm working with Perl 4.036, anticipating compiling
uniperl, the Perl for Unify 5.0, and it is only for ver 4 of Perl.

Andrew Adams

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:41:37 GMT
:
: Anybody out there running SCO and got it to work?  Perhaps I should just
: ignore the big test?  I'm working with Perl 4.036, anticipating compiling
: uniperl, the Perl for Unify 5.0, and it is only for ver 4 of Perl.

Here's some correspondence on the subject.

Larry

Date: 30 Mar 94 05:49:24 EST

Subject: SCO bug

Dear Larry Wall,

I hope this reaches you. I'm not too certain about CIS->internet mail.

I compiled Perl 4.036 on a SCO 3.2v4.2 system, development system v4.2, and ran
into a very {*filter*} compiler bug. The program compiled and linked succesfully,
but failed the bigint tests.

I traced it down to the following situation in stab.c, stabset():
        register char *s;
(line 406)
        s = str->str_pok ? str_get(str) : "";

If str->str_pok is 0, the assignment is done to the wrong register, or
never done at all. Compile with -Fc and see that edi never gets assigned.
This was compiled with -Od, so optimizing is not an issue.

The solution is to remove the register keyword in the declaration of s.
Perhaps you could advise SCO users of this bug in future README files.

I'm happy to report that Perl passes all tests now. The test suite is
impressive ! Perl as a whole is impressive, and I just wish I had
"discovered" it earlier.

Regards,

Han Holl

[Acked]

*** stab.c.orig Wed Mar 30 10:28:06 1994
--- stab.c      Wed Mar 30 10:28:34 1994
***************
*** 331,337 ****
  STR *str;
  {
      STAB *stab;
!     register char *s;
      int i;

      switch (mstr->str_rare) {
--- 331,337 ----
  STR *str;
  {
      STAB *stab;
!     char *s;
      int i;

      switch (mstr->str_rare) {

Sun, 20 Jul 1997 02:45:05 GMT

1. Compiling code at run-time, not compile-time

2. RETRY: manipulating @INC at perl5 compile time (not script compile time)

3. Compiling PERL for SCO UNIX

4. Compiling and Installing Perl 5.8.0 on Tru64 UNIX V4.0F

5. Compiling Perl under Unix 386 5.4

6. FYI : Compiling Perl to EXE (Windows or UNIX)

7. Compiling Perl under Unix -help!

8. Compiling Perl on Unix

9. perl 5.004_02 on Dig Unix 4.0B - compile problem

10. Hellish problems compiling Perl 5.003 on Digital Unix 4.0

11. Can perl be compiled in UNIX?

12. Pre-compiled Perl for the DEC Alpha OSF/1 (Digital UNIX)