insufficient memory for install (Linux)
Author Message
 insufficient memory for install (Linux)

Quote:

> I've built perl5 on Linux (including a successful 'make test'), but I
> can't complete the 'make install'.

> It gets as far as installing the manual pages and then just eats
> memory - if I'm lucky, it falls over with 'insufficient memory',
> otherwise, it just thrashes...

>    Linux kernel 1.1.72
>    gcc-2.5.8
>    libc-4.5.26
>    (32Mb RAM, 32Mb swap)

> Any help would be gratefully appreciated...

I and other people have built on Linux without problems, and with less
memory (I'm at 16+16, right now). I'm just guessing, but could you try
dropping back to an earlier kernel revision? I'm using 1.1.18, without a
problem, but .72 is a bit on the "bleeding edge".

Quote:

--

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 01:33:09 GMT
 insufficient memory for install (Linux)

Quote:

> > I've built perl5 on Linux (including a successful 'make test'), but I
> > can't complete the 'make install'.

> > It gets as far as installing the manual pages and then just eats
> > memory - if I'm lucky, it falls over with 'insufficient memory',
> > otherwise, it just thrashes...

> >       Linux kernel 1.1.72
> >       gcc-2.5.8
> >       libc-4.5.26
> >       (32Mb RAM, 32Mb swap)

> I and other people have built on Linux without problems, and with less
> memory (I'm at 16+16, right now). I'm just guessing, but could you try
> dropping back to an earlier kernel revision? I'm using 1.1.18, without a
> problem, but .72 is a bit on the "bleeding edge".

I've compiled Perl5 with kernel .72, gcc-2.5.8, libc-4.5.26, and 8 megs
of RAM with 16mb swap with no problems. Beforehand I built and installed
the GDBM libraries and included the GDBM package when I ran Configure.

All of this happened with no hitches. Of course, if you would post the
error messages that it gave you it would be of more help...

Jim Trocki
American Cyanamid Company

--
===================================

American Cyanamid Company
Princeton, NJ

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:57:03 GMT

1. insufficient memory for install (Linux)

2. $archname insufficient for multiple Linux installs?

3. (Linux beginner) How to de-install and re-install Perl on Linux

4. installing new modules in newly installed linux

5. administrator insufficient privileges

6. linux: Out of memory!

7. Linux does reclaim memory from perl

8. Memory leak in LWP::UserAgent under linux

9. Qs on Perl memory usage on Linux and Win32 systems

10. How can I get the system memory size of my system(Linux)

11. shared memory under linux

12. Nonmember submission: Re: Nonmember submission: re linux/tk/button memory leak