Registration Script
Author Message
 Registration Script

I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register (for
benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified email
address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.  It
did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are correct,
and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 05:20:49 GMT
 Registration Script
check it again and look for a error link its most likly a systax error you
forgot a semicolon or somthing.
like in $abc = $xyz
should be $abc = $xyz ;
somthing so simple but so hard to locat sometimes.
check the error page and look at the last error it might give you an idea of
were to start looking if you still need help post the err here.
it should be a link form the error page that explaines the error.
???????

I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register (for
benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified email
address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.  It
did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are correct,
and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:26:08 GMT
 Registration Script
I get an error: 500

the pages are: www.atayarani.com/form.html
and www.atayarani.com/cgi-bin/readinput.pl

Quote:
> check it again and look for a error link its most likly a systax error you
> forgot a semicolon or somthing.
> like in $abc = $xyz
> should be $abc = $xyz ;
> somthing so simple but so hard to locat sometimes.
> check the error page and look at the last error it might give you an idea
of
> were to start looking if you still need help post the err here.
> it should be a link form the error page that explaines the error.
> ???????

> I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
> am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register
(for
> benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified
email
> address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.
It
> did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are
correct,
> and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:15:16 GMT
 Registration Script
The problem in in the script.pl for sure
now what that problem is can be any number of reasons.
when i load a .CGI script into hypermart
it returns the error and logs the closest area of the file
such as at or near line 24 cannot assess an constant within a stanment from
an undecleared variable.
or somthing to that nature.
there are two things you could do you could run it in a dos window with
warnings on  ( perl -w script.pl  )
it should point out the area within the program which is generating the
error line number usually its a line before the error that causes the break
in the interpeter. but it could be a declared value in line 1 as well.
but the error is generated on line 40.
that might help locate the error or you could post the code to the form and
let everyone take a look at it.
off the top of my head I cant tell if error 500 is general or isolated to a
spicific reason.
but I have gotten error 500 myself a few times and have corrected the
problem.

I get an error: 500

the pages are: www.atayarani.com/form.html
and www.atayarani.com/cgi-bin/readinput.pl

Quote:
> check it again and look for a error link its most likly a systax error you
> forgot a semicolon or somthing.
> like in $abc = $xyz
> should be $abc = $xyz ;
> somthing so simple but so hard to locat sometimes.
> check the error page and look at the last error it might give you an idea
of
> were to start looking if you still need help post the err here.
> it should be a link form the error page that explaines the error.
> ???????

> I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
> am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register
(for
> benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified
email
> address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.
It
> did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are
correct,
> and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:58:35 GMT
 Registration Script
More information about this error may be available in the server error log

check the log it will explaine the error more i belive

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:08:21 GMT
 Registration Script
Im getting an error 500 today on one of my scripts and its related to
opening a file on the server
open (UNIT,"keymemberpoints.txt") or die "cannot open file: $!";

this is how i am refrencing the file.
the file was not in the same dir folder as the cgi
and therfore this may be your problem
your not refrencing the dir to the file properly
which i am having probelms grasping the how to jump through the server
directory's
within the cgi scripting
the ../folder/file
or ../ folder 1 /folder2/file
or being in a leaf directory and returning to another branch
being in folder 2 and accessing ../folder/file
from it.

cannot open file: No such file or directory at unittable.cgi line 28.

 HyperMart Home | Contact Us | Help | Privacy | About HyperMart | Press
Center | Site Map

More information about this error may be available in the server error log

check the log it will explaine the error more i belive

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:22:30 GMT
 Registration Script
First of all don't you need to be root to see the logs?

Second, my problem was EOF was supposed to be eof.  Who knew a book could be
wrong?

Quote:
> More information about this error may be available in the server error log

> check the log it will explaine the error more i belive

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:20:30 GMT
 Registration Script
as far as the root to see logs the service i have provides the error logging
in a script

and the EOF i guess it would depend on how its written
in the print statement

if its print to <<"eof";
then yes the eof would have to be eof
but if the 1st eof was "EOF"
then the 2ed would have to be EOF

but general errors as code 500 is could be any number of things.
I got it today with not being able to open a file because the file wasnt
there to open.
the dos statmet in a dos window with the root at the dir
the file is in in active perl anyway
C:\perl  perl -w file.pl
will run the program in warning mode thats were to get the logging
information localy
which would have stated cant find termanater "eof"
or somthing to that extent.
but you found your problem
good luck

First of all don't you need to be root to see the logs?

Second, my problem was EOF was supposed to be eof.  Who knew a book could be
wrong?

Quote:
> More information about this error may be available in the server error log

> check the log it will explaine the error more i belive

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 06:17:34 GMT

1. user registration script

2. registration script

3. Registration Script

4. Website Registration Script

5. user registration script

6. Perl Script for Web Registration?

7. Perl Script for WWW Registration

8. Member Registration/Login CGI Script Help

9. Member Registration / Login scripts

10. help with simple registration CGI script

11. Yet Another Perl Conference 2001 - Registration/Second CFP

12. java v. perl for user registration database