Writing User Subroutines in C for 4.036
Author Message
 Writing User Subroutines in C for 4.036

        I am looking at adding some usub routines to perl 4.036
to add some functionality that would really help in my current
environment (namely Tuxedo bindings).  The problem I am having is
that I can't seem to find any good documentation on what functions/
variables/return values and shuch can or should be used in a usub
function.  Is there any documentation on how to write extensions to
perl (like the tkperl or isqlperl).

        thanks
        drew

Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:31:46 GMT
 Writing User Subroutines in C for 4.036

:       I am looking at adding some usub routines to perl 4.036
: to add some functionality that would really help in my current
: environment (namely Tuxedo bindings).  The problem I am having is
: that I can't seem to find any good documentation [...]

Perl5 will be coming out of beta Real Soon Now[TM], so unless there
is some reason for wanting to go with perl4, I'd strongly recommend
a Perl5 extension --- it's much easier, and there's documentation
being developed on internal details.

I don't know anything about Tuxedo, but there are several extensions
you can plagiarize^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hlearn from, look in the ext/ directory
of the perl5 distribution, plus there're the Tk and Msql extensions.

If you want to consider Perl5, look in the Doc/ directory of the distribution.

hope this helps,
neilb

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:52:23 GMT
 Writing User Subroutines in C for 4.036

Quote:

>    I am looking at adding some usub routines to perl 4.036
>to add some functionality that would really help in my current
>environment (namely Tuxedo bindings).  The problem I am having is
>that I can't seem to find any good documentation on what functions/
>variables/return values and shuch can or should be used in a usub
>function.  Is there any documentation on how to write extensions to
>perl (like the tkperl or isqlperl).

I would *strongly* recommend that you use Perl 5. Writing extensions
for perl 5 is *much* easier than for perl 4.

I would also strongly recommend that you take a look in
        ftp.demon.co.uk:/pub/perl/db/dbperl
and subscribe to the perldb-interest mailing list by sending a message

Quote:
>    thanks
>    drew

Regards,
Tim Bunce.

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 17:20:38 GMT

1. Writing 4.036 scripts that work in 5.0

2. Australian FTP site for perl4.0 - escher.gallery.cs.unsw.oz.au

3. Soliciting views on PLs in CS education

4. Hot novel by CS professor, includes perl code

5. how to be a CS major

6. User Defined Subroutines.

7. Memory Leak? - Problem of Calling User-Defined Subroutines

8. running a subroutine as a different user

9. Help! Compiling Perl with user subroutines

10. Docs for user subroutine facility?

11. Subroutines in an eval'ed user-script

12. Write and call subroutines in separate files?