Running Perl in the Windows/NT background ??
Author Message
 Running Perl in the Windows/NT background ??

I run an ActivePerl (v5.005_03) perl script ('perl myscript.pm') as a
background executable if a certain event takes place on my website.
When the event takes place, the perl script runs and opens up an
annoying DOS window on my Windows NT server for the second that it takes
to run, then closes the DOS window.   How can I have the perl script
execute in a Window NT 4.0 server environment without opening up the DOS
window each time it runs?

Jim

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Perl in the Windows/NT background ??
i had that problem for a bit on my win95/pws installation, but reinstalling
pws fixed it.

also, renaming the script from .pl to .plx, which
(getting vague here) runs it in process using perlis.dll instead of perl.exe
seems to be
1. faster, as it doesn't have to start another process
2. didn't pop the dos box up.

Quote:
> I run an ActivePerl (v5.005_03) perl script ('perl myscript.pm') as a
> background executable if a certain event takes place on my website.
> When the event takes place, the perl script runs and opens up an
> annoying DOS window on my Windows NT server for the second that it takes
> to run, then closes the DOS window.   How can I have the perl script
> execute in a Window NT 4.0 server environment without opening up the DOS
> window each time it runs?

> Jim

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Perl in the Windows/NT background ??
See if you can startup a short cut instead of a regular program from
your web server.

If you can, then define a short cut to run your perl script and set the
properties of the short cut so it runs mimimized.

Or, you may be able to do this in two stages.  Start up CMD.EXE or
COMMAND.COM from the web server with options to run it minimized, and
then use _that_ to run a small batch file with the line "START
/MINIMIZED PERL yourscript.pm"

Quote:

> I run an ActivePerl (v5.005_03) perl script ('perl myscript.pm') as a
> background executable if a certain event takes place on my website.
> When the event takes place, the perl script runs and opens up an
> annoying DOS window on my Windows NT server for the second that it takes
> to run, then closes the DOS window.   How can I have the perl script
> execute in a Window NT 4.0 server environment without opening up the DOS
> window each time it runs?

> Jim

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Running Perl in the Windows/NT background ??

2. Running a perl script in the background on Windows(95/NT)

3. Running ActiveState scripts fully in background on NT

4. Running a program in the background on a NT web server

5. Perl and Microsoft SQL server with Windows NT running IIS

6. Best source for Perl CGI scripts that run on Windows NT

7. Calling java from cgi(Perl W32) run on Windows NT

8. Perl on Apache 1.3.3 running on Windows 95/NT

9. Perl running on Windows NT

10. SECURITY ALERT on Netscape's advice for running Windows/Dos/NT and PERL.EXE

11. Perl modules MD5 on DEC lapha running windows NT

12. Running IO::Socket under Windows NT