Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2
Author Message
 Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

Hello:

In brief, I changed my mind about upgrading to 5.6 under Debian
due to the problems it was causing in the operating system.
I have downgraded, but I wish to upgrade some time in the near
future, but I also wish to find some way to get the new version
of Perl to know about Debian's Perl scripts/modules/libraries
(for things like apt, emacs, window managers, Gimp, dselect,
and so on), which almost never reside in a version-specific
directory under the Perl directory tree. The adds/upgrades
I intend to do in particular are sweeping, including the
addition or upgrading of the internet-specific and CGI modules.
CPAN requires that I upgrade to Perl 5.6 first before I begin.
The upgrading I was doing was through CPAN using the Perl shell
command:
    perl -MCPAN -e shell
and then using various "install" commands for each module or
library. But this appears to break many of Debian's scripts.

Any help on how to upgrade Perl while recognising Debian's
scripts and libraries would be appreciated.

Paul King

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:54:22 GMT
 Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

Quote:

> [removed comp.lang.perl. That group hasn't existed for years. Notify
> your news admin]
> [remove alt.perl. That group doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned]

There are about 500+ posters who don't seem to agree with you :) However,
unless there is proof that the forementioned groups are deprecated, I
am in favour of posting anywhere I feel I can obtain the proper help.

Quote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:54:22 GMT,

>> Hello:

>> In brief, I changed my mind about upgrading to 5.6 under Debian due to
>> the problems it was causing in the operating system.

> I doubt it sincerely. Perl would not in any way cause your OS to become
> unstable. Maybe you've got some tools that were expecting another
> version of Perl, and that didn't deal with the newer version correctly,
> but I'd hardly call that 'problem in the operating system'.

No. There are simply tools that version 5.6 claims does not exist, when
they in fact do. They break dselect and some window manager applets. I
think was clear enough about what I meant when I said "problems in the
operating system", having now repeated myself. These are "system programs",
as far as I am concerned. Having dropped back to the original version has
fixed these problems.

Quote:

> What exactly were the symptoms? And maybe you should report them to
> Debian, so they can investigate how it is possible that something like
> Perl can cause their OS to have problems.

I think the real cause is Debian's over-dependance on Perl, and on its
insistance to "expect" files such as libraries and modules to be in a
certain place. That place being, a non-version-specific directory tree under
/usr/lib/perl5. After upgrading, all that was "forgotten", even though
the files were stil there. My question concerns: how can I upgrade in
such a way that the new Perl "remembers" where the old libraries/modules are?
(you might have answered that below)

Quote:
>> CPAN requires that I upgrade to Perl 5.6 first before I begin.

> Huh? If it does, you might want to get an older version of CPAN, but I
> doubt it would.

Well, this has always been a problem, and I appear to have no
control over my decision to do this, when I use CPAN for the firt time
on a Linux installation. When I had RedHat, I went along with
it and had none of the problems I experience now under Debian. It seems
that my problems therefore are Debian-specific.

Quote:
>> The upgrading I was doing was through CPAN using the Perl shell
>> command:
>>     perl -MCPAN -e shell
>> and then using various "install" commands for each module or  library.
>> But this appears to break many of Debian's scripts.

> Well... No offense, but then the Debian scripts are broken. They
> shouldn't care.

>> Any help on how to upgrade Perl while recognising Debian's  scripts and
>> libraries would be appreciated.

> I fail to see the real problem. If you upgrade Perl in-place, you should
> still have all your old modules around.

Correct. They in fact, are still around. The new Perl just doesn't notice
them.

Quote:
> if you install a new version in
> a different place, you just need to install the appropriate modules, or
> set PERL5LIB.

Pardon my ignorance, but where do I set this? /etc/profile?

Paul

Quote:

> Doesn't Debian have a package fot 5.6.0 yet? How Slack.

> Martien

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:00:16 GMT
 Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

Quote:

>> [removed comp.lang.perl. That group hasn't existed for years. Notify
>> your news admin]
>> [remove alt.perl. That group doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned]

>There are about 500+ posters who don't seem to agree with you :) However,
>unless there is proof that the forementioned groups are deprecated, I
>am in favour of posting anywhere I feel I can obtain the proper help.

As far as alt.perl is concerned, the "validity" of an alt group has no
formal meaning.  If people are using it, it's valid for them; and most
server admins would probably add it on reqest from one of their users.

As far as comp.lang.perl is missing, it *is* invalid in the sense that it
is not recognized by the moderator of news.announce.newgroups.  Properly
configured servers do not carry it, and probably many fewer admins would
add it if requested by one of their users.

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 14:30:13 GMT

comp.lang.perl has been superseded by comp.lang.perl.misc, an unmoderated
newsgroup which passed its vote for creation by 328:48 as reported in
news.announce.newgroups on 1 May 1995.

--- end paste ---

--

Dept. of Physics and Computer Science        Clinton, South Carolina USA

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:28:16 GMT
 Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

Quote:

>I think the real cause is Debian's over-dependance on Perl, and on its
>insistance to "expect" files such as libraries and modules to be in a
>certain place.

I think it makes perfect sense for Debian to have such a dependence on perl.
It saves them re-inventing the same facilities over and over again in each
of the packages that would have to be rewritten to not depend on perl.
This is why perl is tagged as 'Required'.  It is also why updating it
is not to be done lightly and the whole 5.005 -> 5.6 transition needs
to be done carefully, as you are discovering.

If you want to build a version yourself, one easy thing to do is
build your own and put it in /usr/local/bin/perl (or wherever you like
as long as you don't touch Debian's version).  You can use your new perl
for whatever you like while still having your Debian version work just fine.
(This advice applies to Solaris 8 users too, since Sun now ships perl5.005
with Solaris 8 and you probably don't want to mess with the Sun installation
either.)

Another possibility is to get the source from Debian itself.
The .diff file contains the debian/rules file used to build perl --
using it is one way to add in the appropriate extra directories.

What is best depends on why you wish to upgrade to 5.6.0.

[Another responder asked]

Quote:
>> Doesn't Debian have a package fot 5.6.0 yet? How Slack.

Yes, it does, but the original poster is running the current
"stable" distribution, which has 5.005_03.  Perl-5.6.0 is
currently in the 'unstable' branch.

--

    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:29:13 GMT

1. Upgrading to Perl 5.6 under Debian 2.2

2. perl 5.6 for debian

3. Lost Access to Tied Hashes after Perl 5.6 Upgrade

4. Using CPAN.pm without upgrading to Perl 5.6

5. 5.6 Upgrade - modules

6. Can't open DBM after upgrading from 5.005 to 5.6

7. Lost libraries when upgrading from 5.005 to 5.6

8. Upgrade 5.004 -> 5.6 and binary modules

9. Upgrading 5.6 to use 64 bit

10. WANTED: Perl-4.036 cfg. for LynxOS 2.2

11. Solaris 2.2 Perl : DBM and CPP test suite errors

12. perl/Configure on a Sparc 10 with Solaris 2.2