Where's the FAQ?
Author Message
 Where's the FAQ?

I've probably missed something obvious, but I can't find the FAQ for this
group.  I've been reading it for 2 weeks, and have checked news.answers,
but nothing doing.  Could someone please send me a copy?  Or, to simplify
things, send me the details of an ftp site for a full Perl distribution.
(The one I have came with the Linux SLS distribution and doesn't have
source, or h2ph, or anything except the library routines and the binary.)

Thanks,

Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:15:55 GMT
 Where's the FAQ?

:I've probably missed something obvious, but I can't find the FAQ for this
:group.  I've been reading it for 2 weeks, and have checked news.answers,
:but nothing doing.  Could someone please send me a copy?  Or, to simplify
:things, send me the details of an ftp site for a full Perl distribution.
:(The one I have came with the Linux SLS distribution and doesn't have
:source, or h2ph, or anything except the library routines and the binary.)

I mailed him the FAQ.

The FAQ is currently in shards on the living room floor.  I'm trying
to do a major upgrade on it.

--tom
--

      "Will Hack Perl for Fine Food and Fun"
        Boulder Colorado  303-444-3212

Thu, 20 Jun 1996 03:37:01 GMT
 Where's the FAQ?
: The FAQ is currently in shards on the living room floor.  I'm trying
: to do a major upgrade on it.

Would you please post the shards?  Anything is better than nothing...
--
Carl Harris
CSUGRAD Administrator

URL = http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/aboutus/ceharris.html

Fri, 21 Jun 1996 01:26:03 GMT
 Where's the FAQ?

Quote:
>Would you please post the shards?  Anything is better than nothing...

ftp rtfm.mit.edu in /pub/usenet/comp.lang.perl
--
Bill Eldridge

310-206-3960 (3987 fax)                        ..................

Fri, 21 Jun 1996 03:31:31 GMT
 Where's the FAQ?

   The FAQ is currently in shards on the living room floor.  I'm trying
   to do a major upgrade on it.

Hmmm... I quote from pg 381-382 of the camel book:

`One day, after Larry had finished ripping rn to shreds, leaving it in
pieces on the floor of his directory, the great Manager came to him and
said, "Larry, we need a configuration management and control system for all
6 Vaxen and all 6 Suns.  We need it in a month.  Go to it!"

46) And this, so to speak, is a footnote to history.  When Perl was started, rn
had just been ripped to pieces in anticipation of a major rewrite.  Since
he started working on Perl, Larry hasn't touched rn.  It is still in
pieces.  Larry is talking about rewriting it in Perl.
`

So, what do we have to look forward to from Tom?   ;)

Steve

--
  University of Florida, Department of Computer and Information Sciences

              smail: Stephen P Potter, E309A CSE, UF Campus
Click here to find out about the <a href=http://www.cis.ufl.edu/perl>Perl World Wide Web Page</a>

Mon, 24 Jun 1996 02:59:52 GMT
 Where's the FAQ?

For those who care about historical accuracy:

Quote:

>    The FAQ is currently in shards on the living room floor.  I'm trying
>    to do a major upgrade on it.
> Hmmm... I quote from pg 381-382 of the camel book:
> `One day, after Larry had finished ripping rn to shreds, leaving it in
> pieces on the floor of his directory, the great Manager came to him and

The great Manager was Allen Hansen (who is still with Unisys in Houston -- if
you ever have a chance to work for him, he's a great manager), who was
coordinating our project. At that time I was still sharing the office with
Larry, and I remember his brainstorming on how to do the CM system.

Quote:
> said, "Larry, we need a configuration management and control system for all
> 6 Vaxen and all 6 Suns.  We need it in a month.  Go to it!"

It was an interesting project. For those familiar with trusted systems, Larry
and I were both working on the software side of BLACKER, which is an A1
Multilevel Secure Wide Area Network. Our software development was split over
offices in Paoli PA and Santa Monica CA, connected with a 9600 baud modem
link. 3 of the Vaxen and 3 of the Suns were on each coast. Larry decided to
use news to build the CM system (and actually added a number of special
control words to inews, such as a synchronization and append), but then
discovered that awk was inadequate to generating the CM reports, as one had to
follow all the files in the news spool directory. Thus Perl 0 was born (and
this is why one of the first things implemented in perl was FORMATs and
pattern matching). The biggest change in perl came between perl 0 and perl 1:
Larry changed the regular expression scanner from the Emacs model to the one
currently in use. I still get bit by using \( in regexps. I had to go and
change all my scripts, because by that time, I was using perl extensively in
conjunction with Qmenu to build an automated data dictionary document updating
system that would then use perl scripts to derive Pascal include files.

Quote:
> 46) And this, so to speak, is a footnote to history.  When Perl was started, rn

I've always loved this line (for those who don't know, I wrote the first draft
of the history section in the perl book).

Quote:
> had just been ripped to pieces in anticipation of a major rewrite.  Since
> he started working on Perl, Larry hasn't touched rn.  It is still in
> pieces.  Larry is talking about rewriting it in Perl.

Given all the new newsreaders and the demands on Larry's time, I doubt we'll
ever see this. Heck, I'm still trying to get Larry to update warp to the
ST:TNG paradigm (those who are not familiar with the game "warp" obviously are
newcomers to the net. Warp was a star-trek-type shoot-em-up, which, I believe,
was one of Larry's first contributions to the net. It was originally written
for a RSTS system, if memory serves correct.)

Daniel (Perl's Paternal Godparent)
--
[W]: The Aerospace Corp. M1/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 310/336-8228

Seen on the net: "I always thought that 'Intel Inside' was a warning required
by Truth in Advertising laws..."

Mon, 24 Jun 1996 03:12:09 GMT
 Where's the FAQ?

Quote:

> Heck, I'm still trying to get Larry to update warp to the
>ST:TNG paradigm (those who are not familiar with the game "warp" obviously are
>newcomers to the net. Warp was a startrektype shootemup, which, I believe,
>was one of Larry's first contributions to the net. It was originally written
>for a RSTS system, if memory serves correct.)

>Daniel (Perl's Paternal Godparent)

IMHO Warp is still one of the best games to come out of the net.
Yea.  the good old days sitting around till breakfast time playing
warp, and nethack.

chris

Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:56:06 GMT

1. Where's th FAQ?

2. Where's the FAQ?

3. Where's the FAQ?

4. Where's the FAQ ?

5. where's the faq?

6. Where's the FAQ?

7. where's the faq

8. removing \n's from text files, and looking for perl FAQ's

9. FAQ: I've read perlembed, perlguts, etc., but I can't embed perl in

10. FAQ: I've read perlembed, perlguts, etc., but I can't embed perl in

11. FAQ: I've read perlembed, perlguts, etc., but I can't embed perl in

12. FAQ: I've read perlembed, perlguts, etc., but I can't embed perl in