www and relational databases
Author Message
 www and relational databases

On this topic. I have been doing some work on browsing
ORACLE dbms through Mosaic. I would like to do updates
and inserts too. The main problem is the lack of the
ability to maintain a connected state with the dbms and
hence making rollback impossible. I would like some
suggestions in this respect. Do I have to end up writing
a server or daemon..? I may add that I have no experience
with pearl extensions for SQL

thanks much

Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:23:29 GMT
 www and relational databases

Quote:

>On this topic. I have been doing some work on browsing
>ORACLE dbms through Mosaic. I would like to do updates
>and inserts too. The main problem is the lack of the
>ability to maintain a connected state with the dbms and
>hence making rollback impossible. I would like some
>suggestions in this respect. Do I have to end up writing
>a server or daemon..? I may add that I have no experience
>with pearl extensions for SQL

There is a large class of transactions that are readily handled through
the encoding of the transaction state in the URL being transmitted as the
action associated with a form, or equivalently, through the use of hidden
fields.  We have a repository system that employs Web clients as the sole
means of manipulating the database schema and contents. (We do a very large
amount of dynamic SQL for the mutable portions of the schema.)  There's an
example instance at

        http://rbse.jsc.nasa.gov:81/DEMO/

with pointers to various papers describing the system and to the software
itself.

- Dave
--------
David Eichmann
Asst. Prof. / RBSE Director of R & D
Software Engineering Program              Phone: (713) 283-3875
University of Houston - Clear Lake        fax  : (713) 283-3810

Houston, TX 77058               URL: http://ricis.cl.uh.edu/eichmann/home.html

Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:11:26 GMT
 www and relational databases

: >Hi,
: >
: >Has anyone got a www server to talk to a relational database?
: >I am aware of various shareware products that claim to be able to do
: >this but I have not been able to implement any www to rdbms interface.
:
: Well, I suppose one could always use OraPerl or SqlPerl as the scripting
: language for a CGI interface.  That should give you full RDB ability.

See http://arch-http.hq.eso.org/bfrasmus/wdb/wdb.html.

-- tdk

Fri, 25 Apr 1997 22:37:15 GMT
 www and relational databases

|> >Hi,
|> >
|> >Has anyone got a www server to talk to a relational database?
|> >I am aware of various shareware products that claim to be able to do
|> >this but I have not been able to implement any www to rdbms interface.
|>
|> Well, I suppose one could always use OraPerl or SqlPerl as the scripting
|> language for a CGI interface.  That should give you full RDB ability.
|>
|> Disclaimer, I haven't tried it and doubt that I want to.
|> --

|> CRPC/CITI    |     tinker      | it is funny that he should be killed for so
|> Rice Univ.   |     tailor      | little, and the coin of his death should be
|> Houston TX   |    {*filter*}naut    | what we call civilization - R. Chandler

Yes, OraPERL works well...I use it all the time here at Ford.
--

--eric hall

Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:58:16 GMT
 www and relational databases

|> >Has anyone got a www server to talk to a relational database?
|> >I am aware of various shareware products that claim to be able to do
|> >this but I have not been able to implement any www to rdbms interface.

See the GSQL, Mosaic-SQL gateway at

   http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/People/jason/pub/gsql/starthere.html

Alternatively, I have written several cgi-scripts in sybperl and it works
quite well.

Jeff

--

Informatics Core -+- Human Genome Center -+- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Mon, 28 Apr 1997 02:13:56 GMT

1. Looking for relational database in perl

2. perl application for bulk loading relational databases

3. Relational database for Windows/Windows 95/NT

4. Update, RDB, a Relational Database Manager

5. On FTP archive: RDB (Relational Database Management)

6. RDB, a Relational Database Management System implemented in PERL

7. HTMLView 0.9 - make web interfaces to relational SQL databases

8. Perl OO persistence with relational database

9. need relational database

10. Creating a key field for writing relational databases

11. ANNOUNCE: Tangram 0.08 - Object Persistence in Relational Databases

12. ANNOUNCE: Tangram alpha 2 - Object Persistence in Relational Databases