Perl security as login shell
Author Message
 Perl security as login shell

The more Perl I learn, the more places I want to use it!  I'd like to use
a perl script as the login shell for my 'new user' account. I don't see any
security problems with doing this; am I missing something?

Cheers,
--

InterLog Internet Services   voice (416) 537-7453   fax (416) 532-5015
Online   Publishing,   Marketing,   and   Support  on   the   Internet

Sat, 16 Nov 1996 22:14:29 GMT
 Perl security as login shell

Quote:

> The more Perl I learn, the more places I want to use it!  I'd like to use
> a perl script as the login shell for my 'new user' account. I don't see any
> security problems with doing this; am I missing something?

Just make sure you trap all signals the user could send with his keyboard,
just in case.  Also, double and triple check all input that you will later
use directly or indirectly with calls like system etc (of course :-).

Stig Bakken
--

 <A HREF="http://www.pvv.unit.no/~ssb/meg.html">My WWW page</A>

Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:13:03 GMT
 Perl security as login shell

Quote:
>Just make sure you trap all signals the user could send with his keyboard,
>just in case.

While this is a good idea for a shell (you don't want the user to be logged
out when when he types Ctrl-C), it's not necessary for *security*.  Sending
a signal to the login shell will never get you to a "real" shell; the login
shell was created by an exec() in /bin/login, so it's not the child of an
ordinary shell.  If it gets a signal that it doesn't trap, it will exit and
the user will be logged out.  If its parent is a shell, then by definition
it *isn't* a login shell.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:09:11 GMT

1. perl as login shell

2. perl as a login shell

3. Perl as login shell?

4. Perl script as login shell?

5. Oracle Security in Bourne Shell and Perl Scipts

6. Trying to use SUID curseperl script as login shell

7. Perlscript as login-shell

8. bperl login shell (help needed)

9. Net::Telnet: login shell asks for terminal type

10. How to drive a login shell?

11. CR before login or any help that would lf before login

12. Calling shell scripts or shell commands from Perl