Printing to a win2k networked printer
Author Message
 Printing to a win2k networked printer

I have been tasked by a vendor with the unenviable task for writing
them a tool to print very large numbers of Tiffs in a specified order.
The thing that's stumping me is how to print tiffs from within Perl.

I have tried the Printer.pm module from CPAN but all it allows me to
print is plain text.  It appears that it's simply sending a data
stream directly to the printer and not going through the printer
device.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:55:26 GMT
 Printing to a win2k networked printer
Maybe Perl is not the best tool for this (at least alone.)

I suggest you use a 'batch print' utility that handles the
TIFF format.

One suggestion (mainly a Windows program so it may not
be the absolutely best choice but it does support batch
methods) is IrfanView.  It is freeware.  It is a nice program
for viewing many graphic formats.  It has a batch switch for
printing:

i_view32.exe test.tif /print

You can probably find a much better batch tool if you search
the usual Windows software sites, e.g., Downloads.com, CNET,
etc.

Herb Martin
Try ADDS for great Weather too:
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/projects/adds

Quote:
> I have been tasked by a vendor with the unenviable task for writing
> them a tool to print very large numbers of Tiffs in a specified order.
> The thing that's stumping me is how to print tiffs from within Perl.

> I have tried the Printer.pm module from CPAN but all it allows me to
> print is plain text.  It appears that it's simply sending a data
> stream directly to the printer and not going through the printer
> device.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Scott

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:47:30 GMT
 Printing to a win2k networked printer

Quote:

>Maybe Perl is not the best tool for this (at least alone.)

>I suggest you use a 'batch print' utility that handles the
>TIFF format.

>One suggestion (mainly a Windows program so it may not
>be the absolutely best choice but it does support batch
>methods) is IrfanView.  It is freeware.  It is a nice program
>for viewing many graphic formats.  It has a batch switch for
>printing:

>i_view32.exe test.tif /print

>You can probably find a much better batch tool if you search
>the usual Windows software sites, e.g., Downloads.com, CNET,
>etc.

>Herb Martin

Martin,
        Thank you for your advice.  We use Batch Print Pro for some
tasks already.  However, this is going into a larger application that
needs to be automated from Scan to Print.

        The problem that prevents us from using a utility such as you
suggested is that the code has to print  multiple tiffs as single
documents with a page inserted at the beginning of each document set
with data from a database.

        I have everything else written and working.  The only step I'm
missing in the printer.  :(

Scott

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:45:37 GMT
 Printing to a win2k networked printer

Quote:

> I have tried the Printer.pm module from CPAN but all it allows me to
> print is plain text.  It appears that it's simply sending a data
> stream directly to the printer and not going through the printer
> device.

Exactly. A Tiff image sent directly to the printer is just going to
look like a stream of text to the printer. You need to translate the
image into printer language.

On a UNIX box, this would be easy, but it would take some tools in
addition to perl. On windows, I haven't a clue what tools are out
there to do the translation.

Hopefully that's a bit of insight as to the "why" you can't print like
that.

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:50:24 GMT

1. Printing to Networked printer Under Perl win32

2. How to print to network printers with activestate perl

3. Connect to network printer with Perl logon script?

4. Sending File to Network Printer on windows??

5. Win2K - IIS - CGI - print question

6. printing to the printer

7. print data on a printer

8. Win32, printing to default printer.

9. perl win32 printing to a printer

10. ***Perl Script for an Online Form to print to a specific IP Printer***

11. Printing on a Remote Printer

12. printing to a printer identified by its IP address