Do all browsers support Perl/CGI?
Author Message
 Do all browsers support Perl/CGI?

Hi, I was wondering if all web browsers support perl / cgi, and some
don't.. what are their names/versions?
Thanks.

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:49:49 GMT
 Do all browsers support Perl/CGI?

Quote:
> Hi, I was wondering if all web browsers support perl / cgi, and some
> don't.. what are their names/versions?

Browser generally have nothing to do with Perl or CGI.

CGI is a method for running "programs on the Server" and
in this context Perl is used on the web server.

The CGI script produces performs actions on the server or
produces dynamic content to be sent back to the client so
the client has little to do with this.  Typically the content will
be another web page but it could be graphics or just about
any content suitable for the client to retrieve.

Browsers do have to support the Get or Post methods to
take advantage of most ways to pass parameters to the
scrips but practically every browser (except perhaps the
prototypes from the first year of HTML) does so.  All modern
browsers do.

Herb Martin, PP-SEL
(...and aerobatic student)
Try ADDS for great Weather too:
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/projects/adds

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:00:58 GMT
 Do all browsers support Perl/CGI?

Quote:

> Hi, I was wondering if all web browsers support perl / cgi, and some
> don't.. what are their names/versions?
> Thanks.

It's not browsers that support or don't support perl/CGI, it's web
servers that do the supporting.
A CGI script will send HTML (or text) to the browser. If the HTML is
poorly formatted HTML it may be 'rejected' by the browser or at least
not display correctly.
Of course, different browsers support different HTML tags (the
majority are common) so you have to be aware of this when you are
creating your HTML output.

Confused yet?

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:23:56 GMT

1. Perl Script to tell if browser supports 128-bit encryption

2. Perl RCS Library Doing Strange Things as a CGI

3. Perl RCS Library Doing Strange Things as a CGI

4. need a server that supports perl(cgi)

5. DBCS Support and corporate support for PERL

6. DBCS Support and corporate support for PERL

7. Updating database - on perl CGI through browser

8. Perl CGI/Browser Output Bug - Help!

9. perl CGI output not shown in browser

10. CGI: flushing Perl output to browser

11. Browser/Plugin detecting using perl cgi

12. Perl-CGI: Need help setting filename in browser when downloading from server script