flock() and NFS
Author Message
 flock() and NFS

Hi all,

OK, from what I gather the flock()
function does not mix too well when used in
conjunction with NFS.

I have written a (smallish) CGI application in
Perl that reads and writes data to a single
text based file - being a CGI application, it
is likely that concurrent access to this file will
eventually happen.

I want to be able to provide this script to
any webmaster that is hosted on a Linux or
Windows (NT/2000/XP) and as long as their host
has Perl installed, everything should work fine.

Now, I've read that generally speaking, the flock()
function will work with these Operating systems but
I am concerned that maybe a lot of web host providers
are providing NFS mounted directories as the shared
virtual space they provide to webmasters...

...does anyone have any idea if NFS is widely used in
this fashion or am I worrying too much or is this a
question that can't be definitively answered?

Thanks,
Adam

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:37:03 GMT

1. flock, eval, NFS, ALRM and DIE won't return

2. flock'ing over NFS

3. Flock flaky over NFS how about fcntl?

4. Making flock work over NFS in linux

5. Best locking method for NFS - flock() OK?

6. flock doesn't flock under perl/linux

7. Flock me here flock me there.

8. Workaround for FLOCK?/When is FLOCK not supported?

9. how to use flock() on a machine, which dosn't support flock()

10. Using Flock II - The Revenge of Flock

11. HELP! flock problem on NFS mounted dev?

12. fcntl, lockf, mutual exclusion in an NFS environment