Why comparison
Author Message
 Why comparison

Hi all,

Here is the link that I found very annoying

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Specially the words the author used to advocate tcl are not good for
bullet #1 and bullet #2. Personally I use both of them and both are
meant for different purposes. I love perl  because of concise code.
And also keeps me closer to all time star C.

this kinda perl vs tcl comparision happened before but head to head
comaprision is very bad and need to have a mentality that accepts
better features in both worlds.

-vasu

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:34:15 GMT
 Why comparison
Someone showed me this article 2+ years ago when I started consulting
and knew neither language.  I had planned on learning Perl, but this
very article put that on hold for some time.  Since then, I have had
to learn Tcl (imbedded in JD Edwards software) and know it reasonably
well.  I have also since picked up a fair amount of Perl (enough to be
useful, but not overwhelming judging by my complete lack of
understanding of 95% of the messages posted in this group).

I find the article borderline comical, borderline pathetic.  I find it
hard to imagine that, given the choice and an understanding of both
languages, anyone would pick Tcl.  It's not bad, but it's no Perl.

Quote:

> Here is the link that I found very annoying

> http://tcl.activestate.com/advocacy/perl.html

Thu, 02 Sep 2004 05:29:43 GMT
 Why comparison
It's true that other person's Perl code is not so easy to understand
but u could do so much with small code and that is the fun with
programming right??

Quote:

> hard to imagine that, given the choice and an understanding of both
> languages, anyone would pick Tcl.  It's not bad, but it's no Perl.

I wouldn't buy these sentenses. I guess the choice depends on the
work/application ur dealing with. I would go with Perl to process
files or CGI/networking programming.
Quote:

> > Here is the link that I found very annoying

> > http://tcl.activestate.com/advocacy/perl.html

Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:38:05 GMT
 Why comparison

Quote:

> Hi all,

> Here is the link that I found very annoying

> http://tcl.activestate.com/advocacy/perl.html

This war has ended. This article is acturally a fight back to Perlers.
In the dotcom era Perlers posted articles to blam Tcl at first. Their
comparision was based on the obsolete Tcl version. Now it is history.

I do not like this kind of comparision as well. It is apple vs. orange.
I think you'd better read it as a history article.

Chang

Quote:

> Specially the words the author used to advocate tcl are not good for
> bullet #1 and bullet #2. Personally I use both of them and both are
> meant for different purposes. I love perl  because of concise code.
> And also keeps me closer to all time star C.

> this kinda perl vs tcl comparision happened before but head to head
> comaprision is very bad and need to have a mentality that accepts
> better features in both worlds.

> -vasu

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:03:00 GMT
 Why comparison

Quote:

> I wouldn't buy these sentenses. I guess the choice depends on the
> work/application ur dealing with. I would go with Perl to process
> files or CGI/networking programming.

There are systems like mod_dtcl and AOLserver which provide a fine
reason to use Tcl with the web.  mod_perl is also a fine product, but
it tends to result in some rather large processes, and can be complex
to set up.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:22:24 GMT

1. Why does string comparison use signed chars?

2. Comparison of 2 files and generating the output based on comparison

3. strict comparison vs instrict comparison

4. Why, why, why, -w and use strict?

5. why o why o why

6. comparison of 2 SGML documents

7. C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl comparison

8. comparison of directory-trees with Perl 5

9. approximate text file comparison

10. Binary file string comparison

11. QUESTION: Programming Language Comparison

12. Fuzzy File Comparisons