Author Message
 MSDOS perl -- can't init loader

When I start up perl by typeing

perl script.pl

or even just

perl

in a DOS window started from Win3.1

it says:

DOS 4GW error ... Cannot initialize loader ...

I've set the DOS 4GW variables:

set dos16m=:4M
set dos4gvm=1

Also, when run from windows, I don't see any of the results from a simple
"hello" script, but I don't see any error messages. I've associated the
script with the location of the perl binary; this is correct, right?

Anyone have a clue out there?

        Luke Nosek

Sun, 31 Aug 1997 14:48:32 GMT
 MSDOS perl -- can't init loader

writes:
Quote:

> When I start up perl by typeing
> perl script.pl
> or even just
> perl
> in a DOS window started from Win3.1
> it says:

> DOS 4GW error ... Cannot initialize loader ...

> I've set the DOS 4GW variables:

> set dos16m=:4M
> set dos4gvm=1

>    Luke Nosek

I've had similar problems with various program that use DOS 4GW in a DOS box
under windows, including various games.  I'd love to hear an answer, but I
suspect it isn't PERL's fault.  For this reason I'm still using Perl 4.19.

Sorry i can't help more than this.
--
Andy Robinson

Mon, 01 Sep 1997 22:40:56 GMT
 MSDOS perl -- can't init loader

Quote:
> in a DOS window started from Win3.1

> it says:

> DOS 4GW error ... Cannot initialize loader ...

     This usually means that you have insufficient memory (real or
virtual) in which to run Perl.  Try increasing the size of your
permanent swap file (you *DO* have one, don't you?).

Quote:
> I've set the DOS 4GW variables:

> set dos16m=:4M
> set dos4gvm=1

     These variables are used *ONLY* if a DPMI provider is *NOT*
present.  Windows 3.1 is a DPMI provider, and so these variables are
ignored under Windows.  Under a DPMI provider, the provider must supply
the virtual memory (there's no other way, sorry).

Quote:
> Also, when run from windows, I don't see any of the results from a simple
> "hello" script, but I don't see any error messages. I've associated the
> script with the location of the perl binary; this is correct, right?

     I don't understand.  Do you mean that they are in the same
directory?

     What, *exactly*, are you doing, and, *exactly*, what are you
seeing?

     -- Darryl Okahata

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 01:36:53 GMT
 MSDOS perl -- can't init loader

: When I start up perl by typeing

: perl script.pl

: or even just

: perl

: in a DOS window started from Win3.1

: it says:

: DOS 4GW error ... Cannot initialize loader ...

As far as I can tell this usually means a lack of memory.  Try
changing the PIF file for the command (or the command prompt) to
allow more extended memory (I use '-1' to indicate as much as
possible).

: I've set the DOS 4GW variables:

: set dos16m=:4M
: set dos4gvm=1

Under windows to seems to reduce stability - so I stopped using it.

: Also, when run from windows, I don't see any of the results from a simple
: "hello" script, but I don't see any error messages. I've associated the
: script with the location of the perl binary; this is correct, right?

When you say this do you mean you added an association in File
Manager? (I like the idea - I haven't tried it).

I normally just use 'perl scriptname parameters' - the other method
of using a batch file doesn't work well enough for me to want to
rely on it.
--

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 07:11:53 GMT

1. MSDOS perl 'opendir'

2. problem in msdos 'formats'

3. MSDOS perl: Can't create pipe: Out of memory

4. Len Reed's msdos perl binary kit

5. question about canned perl script

6. desperate: perl scripts called from init.d/... scripts

7. how to init three dimentional array using perl

8. Dynamic/Incremental loader & perl/Tk

9. Binary data and CR-LF's in MSDOS

10. Perl/Oracle-SLQ*Loader error

11. Invalid loader fixup in text space error on HPUX 11 on PERL DBD

12. Loader error, HP-UX 10.10, Perl 5.003, Tk400.202