Mail reader with Perl hooks?
Author Message
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?

Anyone aware of any Mail User Agents written in such a way that the user
can extend the set of commands by writing Perl scripts?  If not current,
is anyone planning on writing such a beast?  In most of the mailers that
I currently deal, it is frustrating not to be able to write small scripts
to perform certain actions (sort in unique ways, provide the ability
to read mail in a 'threaded' manner, etc.) .  The closest thing I
have ever seen was one mailer where each mail msg was a separate unix
file.  Of course for someone who averages several hundred mail msgs a day,
the impact of trying to organize and manage that set of directories would
be pretty tough.  I would rather use the 'standard' single mail box,
msgs separated by "From user" lines, but have the ability to extend
the command as needed.  I am hoping to find such a thing which also had
plans for Perl 5 support...

Anyone need a project to tide them over the winter months?
--
:s Great net resources sought...

:s <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
The task of an educator should be to irrigate the desert not clear the forest.

Tue, 29 Apr 1997 00:43:20 GMT
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?

:
[...]

plum does this.  you can get a version from perl.com:/pub/perl/scripts.

:Anyone need a project to tide them over the winter months?

I've got one: making plum into a nice robust perl5 creature, complete
with Curses, etc.

--tom
--

Can you sum up plan 9 in layman's terms? It does everything
    Unix does only less reliably    --Ken Thompson

Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:08:27 GMT
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?
Ps: plum is built on MH.

--tom
--

"I think contraception is disgusting --people using each other for pleasure."
    --Joseph Scheidler, Director, Pro-Life Action League

Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:09:20 GMT
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?

Quote:

>Anyone aware of any Mail User Agents written in such a way that the user
>can extend the set of commands by writing Perl scripts?  If not current,
>is anyone planning on writing such a beast?  In most of the mailers that
>I currently deal, it is frustrating not to be able to write small scripts
>to perform certain actions (sort in unique ways, provide the ability
>to read mail in a 'threaded' manner, etc.) .  The closest thing I
>have ever seen was one mailer where each mail msg was a separate unix
>file.

MH works that way.  And it fairly easy to hook in Perl scripts to for
customized tasks.  I have Perl programs that allow me to read mail
messages in a WWW client.  Also, one could hook in a Perl program that
gives a threaded scan of mail messages and even put each thread in its
own sequence for subsequent showing.

Quote:
>Of course for someone who averages several hundred mail msgs a day,
>the impact of trying to organize and manage that set of directories would
>be pretty tough.  I would rather use the 'standard' single mail box,
>msgs separated by "From user" lines, but have the ability to extend
>the command as needed.  I am hoping to find such a thing which also had
>plans for Perl 5 support...

Nothing stops you from using only a single directory in MH.  Actually,
I find it much easier to organize tons of mail using MH folders.  Having
alot of mail in a single file seems cumbersome and slow.

        --ewh

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:35:41 GMT
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?

Randle mentioned mailagent to me in private mail - we are using that.  I
am looking for something that reads mail msgs from a mailbox.  Like a Mail,
elm, mh, etc. only that allows user written perl internal commands, etc.

Randle also pointed me to plum and I have looked at it.  Just looking
to see what else is there - in particular something with some doc
<wink> and that takes advantage of Perl 5 hopefully.
--
:s Great net resources sought...

:s <URL:http://www.mps.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/hpp?lvirden_sig.html>
The task of an educator should be to irrigate the desert not clear the forest.

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 02:05:53 GMT
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?

there is the "plum" mail reader that tchrist wrote.  see the
MH faq for details on it, but you're probably best asking
tom himself for a plum that works with perl 5 ;-)

.mrg.

Thu, 01 May 1997 16:04:10 GMT
 Mail reader with Perl hooks?

Quote:

>Randle mentioned mailagent to me in private mail - we are using that.  I
>am looking for something that reads mail msgs from a mailbox.  Like a Mail,
>elm, mh, etc. only that allows user written perl internal commands, etc.

>Randle also pointed me to plum and I have looked at it.  Just looking
>to see what else is there - in particular something with some doc
><wink> and that takes advantage of Perl 5 hopefully.

There is the c-client library that comes with the Pine distribution which
does stuff to do with mail reading in various mail box formats and can
also handle remote mail boxes through IMAP and possibly POP 3 (but I'm
not sure about the POP bit).  It should be easy to turn into a perl5
extension (he said glibly having not even glanced over the code 'cos Pine
works out of the box :-)... then using Curses or Tk or whatever a perl
mailreader would be do-able.  The honourable thing to do here would be to
volunteer to look at it, but various personal things & the looming
festive season mean I'd be even slower to get to it than usual.

Anyway I've cross-posted to comp.mail.pine in case one of the developers
feels like illuminating the c-client library.

Mike

--
The "usual disclaimers" apply.    | Meiko
Mike Stok                         | 130C Baker Ave. Ext

Meiko tel: (508) 371 0088 x124    |

Mon, 05 May 1997 05:30:05 GMT

1. Large hash tables rehash hook, gc hook

2. Perl mail reader

3. Perl Mail Reader

4. Any interest in Perl-based mail reader?

5. Wanted: perl source for automated mail and news readers

6. Perl Shell (mail reader)

7. ANNOUNCE: renmail - mail reader/perl shell

8. web-based mail reader in perl?

9. Perl e-mail reader-->fax

10. E-mail reader questions Oct. 13, 2002

11. E-mail reader questions Oct. 13, 2002

12. Mail reader.