Mysterious 'pp000040' files from BigPerl
Author Message
 Mysterious 'pp000040' files from BigPerl

Quote:

> Recently I have noticed a number of empty files cluttering the directory where
> I run BigPerl 4.036. The files are named:
>    pp000040
>    ppa00040
>    ppb00040
> and have size of 0 bytes. What's causing them? Where are they from?

     These are temporary (scratch) files.  They should be automatically
deleted when perl finishes.  If they're sticking around, it's either a
bug or perl's been crashing on you.

     -- Darryl Okahata

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

Sat, 26 Jul 1997 08:52:44 GMT
 Mysterious 'pp000040' files from BigPerl

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Mysterious 'pp000040' files from BigPerl
>Date: 7 Feb 1995 00:52:44 GMT

>> Recently I have noticed a number of empty files cluttering the directory where
>> I run BigPerl 4.036. The files are named:
>>       pp000040
>>       ppa00040
>>       ppb00040
>> and have size of 0 bytes. What's causing them? Where are they from?
>     These are temporary (scratch) files.  They should be automatically
>deleted when perl finishes.  If they're sticking around, it's either a
>bug or perl's been crashing on you.
>     -- Darryl Okahata

The application is a program scheduler which runs continuously on a Novell
network. Occasionally, some hardware will crash so the scheduler has to be
terminated by <ctrl><break>, reboot, etc. I would guess that the files are
caused by terminating the program and not a bug.

Ralph

Fri, 01 Aug 1997 20:52:04 GMT

1. Mysterious 'pp000040' files from BigPerl

2. mysterious '1' appearing

3. Mysterious 'utf8_length: unaligned end' error

4. Locking files -- 'flock'/'lockf/ question.

5. What is pseudorandommy @chars=('a'..'z','A'..'Z','0'..'9','_');

6. Mysterious perl -d switch and $ENV{'PERL5DB'} problems

7. perl BUG: 'die' dumps core in 'require'd files that require other files

8. fd 'bad file number' and 'file exists'

9. File locking via 'fcntl()'

10. removing \n's from text files, and looking for perl FAQ's

11. Using File::Find with 'use strict'

12. quasi-'config' files