Multiple dbmopen()'s at once (perl4)
Author Message
 Multiple dbmopen()'s at once (perl4)

The man page says that you can have multiple files dbmopen()'ed if your
system supports it.  When I built perl I don't recall specifying dbm or
ndbm, but when I write a simple test program it seems that I can have
multiple open at once.  Since SunOS 4.1.x's dbm is a front-end to ndbm,
I assume that my successful were not just a coincidence.

I nm'ing perl to see if any ndbm references popped up but it didn't
find anything:
% nm perl | egrep dbm
00066f94 B _dbmkey
00066f90 B _dbmlen
0004a564 T _hdbmclose
0004a450 T _hdbmopen
0004a5b4 T _hdbmstore

Is there a way to tell if "the system supports it"?  That is, will the
program gracefully die if someone runs this program on a machine that
only has dbm?  Can I made a test-case that I could eval to to prevent
this program from running on old dbm systems?

--tal
--

  "Finally some good news!  The electrical fires caused by the cable cuts that
    precipitated the total power outage have been extinguished by the flood!"

Sun, 23 Feb 1997 06:51:25 GMT

1. dbmopen/dbmclose:perl4/5 conversion

2. dbmopen differences in perl4 and perl5

3. Can I use dbmopen command with perl4??

4. How to do multiple files at once?

5. comment out multiple lines at once

6. How to upload multiple graphic files at once ?

7. How to upload multiple graphic files at once ?

8. Retrieving multiple hash elements at once

9. Possible Bug: Multiple DBM Files at once

10. undef()-fing multiple items at once

11. foreach handling of multiple arrays in perl4.35