Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner
Author Message
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

                             ANNOUNCEMENT
                   NEWSCAN: A NETWORK NEWS SCANNER
                         (BETA) RELEASE 1.105

        Announcing release 1.105 of newscan.  newscan 1.105 has been posted
as a shell archive on ALT.SOURCES, COMP.LANG.PERL and COMP.LANG.TCL newsgroups.

        newscan scans NetNews newsgroups for articles containing matches to
keywords and regular expressions.  It helps overcome information overload
in the Internet newsgroups by selecting articles according to keyword and
pattern matches.  The user can then read the selected articles.

        newscan is a Perl program that will run on most Unix platforms
supporting Perl.  It does not need to be built or compiled. All it requires
is a working perl interpreter.  In some cases the user may need to edit the
first line of the newscan Perl script to point it to the user's local Perl
interpreter.

        newscan comes with xnewscan, a Tcl/Tk script that provides a
graphical user interface to newscan.  xnewscan requires the wish
windowing shell.  newscan can still be run from the Unix commmand
line interface if the user prefers or cannot run xnewscan.  xnewscan
is a new addition to newscan not contained in the earlier newscan 1.66
release.

        newscan 1.105 is a beta release of the next major release of newscan
since newscan 1.66

        Uses of newscan:

                *  Selecting job postings from misc.jobs.offered
        according to skills to be used in job.

                *  Selecting articles in a newsgroup discussing a subtopic.
        For example, in a newsgroup alt.cats, the user could search for
        articles containing the keyword Siamese to select articles
        dealing with only Siamese cats.

                *  Excluding articles containing a topic, such as flame
        war, that you are utterly sick of.  newscan can exclude articles
        based on a keyword.

Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:13:34 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

Quote:
>Please excuse if I missed the obvious.

>Where do I find it?

>Thanks.

>                    Don

--------------------

Sorry, but how do you get what?????????????

--
Charles A. Kulosa  |---I know everything important there is to know....

Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:14:54 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

Quote:

>>Please excuse if I missed the obvious.

>>Where do I find it?

>>Thanks.
>>                        Don
>Sorry, but how do you get what?????????????

It's obvious... A clue.   ;-)

Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:31:31 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

Quote:

>                         ANNOUNCEMENT
>               NEWSCAN: A NETWORK NEWS SCANNER
>                     (BETA) RELEASE 1.105

>    Announcing release 1.105 of newscan.  newscan 1.105 has been posted
> as a shell archive on ALT.SOURCES, COMP.LANG.PERL and COMP.LANG.TCL newsgroups.

Please excuse my previous cryptic message.

Where do I find NEWSCAN?  Thanks.

                        Don

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:13:58 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner
: Please excuse if I missed the obvious.
:
: Where do I find it?
:
: Thanks.

From your shell prompt, type in
cat /dev/null

It should be shown on your screen. If you are afraid of it scrolling
off the screen before you can read it, try
cat /dev/null | more

=O.|     fled
=O

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 02:39:05 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner
[followups to alt.sources.d]

Quote:
>Please excuse if I missed the obvious.
>Where do I find it?
>Thanks.

I just went outside for a moment, and there it was!

--

Boulder County Info Svcs
Boulder CO USA

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 05:58:42 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

+ Please excuse if I missed the obvious.
+
+ Where do I find it?
+---

Incredible.  Seven followups to this post, not one containing a real
answer.  Who says comp.lang.perl isn't helpful?  ;)

'find it' will usually work if your admin has run /usr/lib/find/updatedb
recently.  'Where' you are shouldn't matter, if your $PATH is properly
set.

(I admit I'm not above joinging in....:)

[Okay, Don, a real answer: newsscan was posted as a two-part source in
most of the groups listed above (on the "Newsgroups: " line).]

Mon, 18 Aug 1997 05:14:01 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner
While looking for the newscan article that a friend alerted me to
(thanks, Gary!), I noticed the following pleas for help:

Quote:

> >                            ANNOUNCEMENT
> >                  NEWSCAN: A NETWORK NEWS SCANNER
> >                        (BETA) RELEASE 1.105

> >       Announcing release 1.105 of newscan.  newscan 1.105 has been posted
> > as a shell archive on ALT.SOURCES, COMP.LANG.PERL and COMP.LANG.TCL newsgroups.
> Please excuse my previous cryptic message.
> Where do I find NEWSCAN?  Thanks.
>                    Don

You mean what ftp site?  Sorry, none.

It was posted Sunday, the day before the above announcement, to this
very same newsgroup (*).  That's what the last two lines you quoted
mean.  You need to find the 3 articles labeled "newscan 1.105 - a
Network News Scanner (Part 1 of 3)" etc (except that tin truncates the
subject prior to threading, so they are all in one thread there).

Once you find them, save all three to a file.  If you are reading news
with tin, you can save them as you would a multi-part jpeg, but
instead of a "u" for uudecode as the last step, select "s" for shar:
tin then does the rest.  With other readers, I'm not sure.  You may
need to clip out the headers etc before running the combined file via
/bin/sh.

If you don't have access to a Unix system to run the self-extracting
shar file on, you may need to post a message asking for further help.

Good luck,

Fizz

(*) (Or rather, these 5 newsgroups, of which I found it in
comp.lang.perl; I don't know which group you are reading so I'll leave
the Newsgroups line as is, but I'm changing the followup line to just
news.software.readers).
--

Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:54:02 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

James> cat /dev/null | more

RLS> This is a Useless Use Of Cat.  This should be:

RLS>         more /dev/null

RLS> Or, you could do this with perl as:

RLS>         perl -e 'exec "more /dev/null"'

I've always loved inflicting 'perl -n /dev/zero' on a box.  Great
malloc() bomb, and makes a nice gift!

--Up.

--

C{*filter*}tesville, VA, USA              |   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~juphoff/

Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:28:18 GMT
 Announcing newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner

=|>Please excuse if I missed the obvious.
=|>
=|>Where do I find it?
=|>
=|>Thanks.
=|>
=|>
=|>                  Don
=|>
=|
=|--------------------
=|
=|Sorry, but how do you get what?????????????

        He needs to get a clue.

insert signature lines here INSERT SIGNATURE LINES HERE insert signature lines h
ere INSERT SIGNATURE LINES HERE insert signature lines here INSERT SIGNATURE LIN

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 08:57:02 GMT

 [ 36 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. newscan 1.105 - a Network News Scanner (Part 2 of 3)

2. newscan 1.66 - a Perl Network News Article scanner (requires NNTP)

3. newscan 1.45 - a NetNews network news article scanner

4. newscan 2.0 - Announcement for Network News Scanner

5. newscan 2.0 - a Perl Network News Scanner (Part 3 of 4)

6. newscan 2.0 - a Perl Network News Scanner (Part 2 of 4)

7. newscan 2.0 - a Perl Network News Scanner (Part 1 of 4)

8. newscan 1.45 (a news scanner) in comp.sources.misc

9. Announcing newscan 1.66 - NNTP NetNews Scanner!

10. looking for net news scanner

11. Time::HiRes Problem when installing Virus-Scanner qmail-scanner

12. ANNOUNCE: News-Scan 0.50